PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Run ??

Brian_UK
03-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Called to a cafe that had had a bit of a move around of equipment over the Christmas holiday.

A serve-over counter with a small condensing unit underneath had been shifted about 12 feet and up 2 steps.

Apparently the condensing unit had fallen out of the bottom but 'they had put it back as best as they could'; could I check that it was still working alright ?

Well, yes, they had put it back......unfortunately the poor thing was now upside down:eek:

DOH!!

subzero*psia
11-01-2002, 03:02 AM
I am surprised no tubing was kinked!!

If the compressor is separate from the c-coil (doubt it though).... you may be able to run the compressor upside down forever... it has no sense of direction... only pumps vapor, suction and discharge. But... depending on the compressor design, the oil could be a huge problem! LOL!

I can't imagine someone actually did that... LOL!! Too Funny!

Brian_UK
11-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by subzero*psia
I am surprised no tubing was kinked!!
No, the pipes were kinked and one was fractured, it was OK though it was enivornmentally friendly gas

andrewuk
11-09-2003, 10:50 PM
i wonder how the oil will get picked up to lubebricate the actual pump eg piston, bearings etc if the oil is away from it's pick up point.

benncool
12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Back in the old days window air conditioners were worth being repaired. Now days you just throw them out and buy a new one.

I was given a call back then to go check out a new window unit that the boss had sold. When I got there I could see what the problem was right away. It was a standard air conditioner. But this house had narrow windows. No problem. The customer just turned the unit on its side and slid it into the window opening.

andrewuk
13-09-2003, 12:51 AM
nice ,people try things when they don't know and they end up wasteing a perfectly good unit.