PDA

View Full Version : EVAPORATOR CHARGE ---> Questions

KETTLER
24-06-2006, 09:41 PM
:o Hello,

I know these are basic questions that a HVAC Technician probably shouldn't ask,
but, I'm getting a little confused.

Why does a FROZEN EVAPORATOR indicate a LOW CHARGE? Shouldn't the refrigerent top-off at some saturated pressure and then build up sufficient SUPERHEAT to keep the coils from freezing?
What are the symptoms of a FLOODED EVAPORATOR? Will that also freeze? Will the SUCTION LINE at the COMPRESSOR freeze-up?
:confused: Thanks!

Brian_UK
24-06-2006, 10:49 PM
1, A low charge allows the operating temperature to go below the norm for the system, hence frost and ice build up. As the ice builds up the transfer area decreases and the suction pressure gets lower and the ice builds up and so on.

It doesn't some much 'top-out' more 'bottom out' ;)

2. The flooded evaporator may not freeze but you would suffer from frost etc on the suction at the compressor because the refrigerant is boiling it's way back to the compressor.

wambat
24-06-2006, 11:01 PM

Why does a FROZEN EVAPORATOR indicate a LOW CHARGE? Shouldn't the refrigerent top-off at some saturated pressure and then build up sufficient SUPERHEAT to keep the coils from freezing?
What are the symptoms of a FLOODED EVAPORATOR? Will that also freeze? Will the SUCTION LINE at the COMPRESSOR freeze-up?
:confused: Thanks!

A frozen evaporator can be the result of low/poor air flow, dirty filter/evaporator,low charge,defrost problems,
defective control,etc,etc.
A flooded evap will cause low superheat, delute the oil, break valves, and possibly destroy (scramble) the compressor. It will not freeze!

Gary
17-02-2007, 02:37 PM

These are questions which reveal a basic misunderstanding of how a refrigeration system works and thus bring into question whether one is in fact a HVAC Techician. If you are a novice, just say so and we will try our best to advise you.

abdulazman
17-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Cheerio Gary :D

Well said.
Ugh.....:confused: In the first place was he refering to
the plate freezers or walk in freezers :eek: .
Lets design a freezer that should not be open at all and seal air tight forever :) n does not serve its purpose.
Maybe no frost will develop on the tubing, no need defrosting mechanism and save everybody the trouble of maintenance :D

HEHEHEHEHE.......:) :)

TRASH101
14-03-2007, 10:55 PM
A sealed freezer ????

A scenario more for a quantum fridge engineer
perhaps schroedinger(:confused: ) could shed some light especially if you sealed his cat in there.:D :D