PDA

View Full Version : L'unite Hermetique

Tycho
24-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Or however they spell it :)

I'm one week into my vacation when my boss asks me if I could pretty pretty please step in a few hours to help an apprentice start up a split unit he had installed... I was at home, with no better plans (other than painting my house), so I said ok.. seeing this as a maybe two to three hour job, ofcourse having the apprentice going through all the settings and doing all the work :)

the site is about 100 yards from my house, so I changed into my superman suit, jumped into my car and drove over :D
Only to find that the electrician had only connected the outdoor unit...

The apprentice had allready called the electrician and given him a hard time for skipping out on his job and potentially having him (and me) working overtime... cudos to him :)

so I went straight from getting into my superman suit to watching batman(the apprentice) at work and approved, as we went back to the office for some coffe as we awaited the arrival of the ever ellusive electrician... Lo and behold, one cup of coffe and he was on site.. the apprentice must have really told him off :D I really like this guy :D

the electrician works really really fast... I mean he should have had "go faster stripes" :) he was probably just pissed off because he was called back to the site by a guy 20 years younger than him (cudos to the apprentice again).

So, I push the "on" button only to get an alarm... "faulty temperature probe" the instruction papers point me to the compressor oil heater "huh?" call the importer and they are non the wiser... an hour on the phone and they finally tell me that the fault lies with the room temperature sensor... well... duh... why does the faultcode list say it's the oilheater...

I kinda took the lead when we started getting fault codes and let the apprentice just watch, my bad...
and I finally traced it back to the temparature sensor being connected to the wrong terminal blocks, causeing the probe sensor fault and thereby not letting the compressor start...

I connected the cable correctly and could hear the hum of the compressor...

I stepped down from the ladder and said
"say it"
"the compressor is running" he said
I said "No... say IT"
Him "it's running and you fixed it
Me "SAY IT!"
Him "You are the best"
Me "I was going for you are the master, but thanks" :D
I always pull that one with him whenever I fix something he cant... in the hope of making him want to fix it so that he doesnt have to call me master :)

so, the compressor is running, we walk around the corner to put the covers back on to the outdoor unit, just in time to hear the compressor go *rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRH......... RRRRH......RH..........drh*

The compressor has been running for less than 30 seconds...

We both climb up each our ladder... I tell the apprentice to cut the power

And I close the valves to the compressor and release all the pressure, thinking maybe its a faulty starter, (wanna try to start it with no load) but having played with this equipment before I hook up an amp meter, open the discharge line and has the apprentice turn on the power again.

The compressor says *BRRRRRRRRRRRRclick* pulling 80 amps for two seconds... before it cut out

he says !"#¤#/&#(%&"¤#&%"#&"# and asks me whats wrong and I reply

"It's french..."

I've had nothing with trouble with L'unite Hermetique since the day I heard of them...

My offical story is that the compressor coughed twice then died.