PDA

View Full Version : Carbo Cooler relief valve

flasah
23-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I've got a Mojonnier Bros. carbo-cooler and need to replace the relief valve on the surge drum, but it's painted over, so I don't know the pressure setting. The Cooler is rated at 100 psi, and the surge drum is rated at 250 psi. Which setting do I need for a relief valve on the surge drum? Anyone know?

Patrick

US Iceman
24-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Do you have service valves in the drop leg and return line between the surge drum and carbo cooler?

If these two items cannot be isolated, then the cooler relief valve takes precedent. Since the surge drum is rated for 250 psi, it will not hurt anything if a 100 psi relief valve is used on the surge drum.

On the other hand, the cooler as you say is rated for 100 psi. If the cooler and surge drum can be isolated by service valves the lower design pressure is the one that controls the relief valve set pressure, or 100 psi.

However, this is only one part of the issue. The relief valve capacity must be based on something. For the surge drum relief capacity, that's pretty simple. Now, you have to include some provision for the cooler.

There's not really a black and white answer without more information at the present time.

Andy
24-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I've got a Mojonnier Bros. carbo-cooler and need to replace the relief valve on the surge drum, but it's painted over, so I don't know the pressure setting. The Cooler is rated at 100 psi, and the surge drum is rated at 250 psi. Which setting do I need for a relief valve on the surge drum? Anyone know?

Patrick

you could have the old valve tested to see what pressure it lifts at. Better still arrange with a valve overhall company to overhaul you valve while you wait. Pump out the MoJo, bring the valve to them, have it overhauled and tested and bring it back and fit it same or next day

Ofcourse this does require the cooperation of the overhaul company:D

There should be part numbers in the manual that came with the MoJo:)

Kind Regards Andy:)