PDA

View Full Version : Antique Fridge

madfriday
19-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Hello Again, One of my customers in a charming North Shropshire Pub called 'The Old Town Hall Vaults' has a very very old LEC fridge.
We wondered if anyone could tell us the age ???
The only clues are a very art-deco looking LEC badge on the front and the stamped plate on the back.
The plate reads T2962/37

frank
19-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Sounds interesting. Any chance of a photo?.

Abe
19-06-2006, 10:25 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I have an old Lec fridge. Ill get the details and possibly a pic by the weekend.

madfriday
19-06-2006, 10:26 PM
I only grabbed a piccy of the plate on the back so far, doh!
I will get one and post it up tomorrow. The cab' is about 4 cu-ft with a magnolia finish, has an old 'pan-cake' style compressor, running on R12. The most notable feature is a tall thin badge on the front with the LEC name on it.

Abe
20-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Thats identical to mine Madfriday

madfriday
20-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Hellooo, managed to get a piccy of the old war-horse -the fridge that is, not the landlady :rolleyes:
This is the bit where we find out if i can attach files or not.....
Would dearly love to know how old this is ?
I wonder if there's anyone out there from the old LEC factory (alas, gone now ...the price we pay for buying Beko) in Bognor Regis who could tell us a bit about them?
It is model T2962/37
PS: By the way gents, the Old Town Hall Vaults keep a very tasty drop of Mild...

madfriday
20-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Hello Abe, I'd like to see a piccy of your LEC if you can get one.
I might have a bit of a phone around 2moz if get chance, see what i can dig up. I don't think much use phoning LEC at Bognor anymore.
A few months ago i was after a solenoid for one of their frost-free cabinets and when i phoned Bognor i was re-routed to Glen-Dimplex in Preston !! I asked what was going on and they said the Bognor Site had 'all gone now' and Glen-Dimplex had took them over. .....very saddening news.

old gas bottle
21-06-2006, 07:49 AM
hi matey, sorry to tell you that model is the same as the one i had too, think the model number might be a clue with 62 in it, more of theese about than you think,nice bit of kit though.

billyfridge
23-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I was repairing those in the early sixties.....the usual faults were the relays on the pancake comps, so i would estimate 1955....the Morphy Richards absorbent fridge was around at the same time, same size same looks, these machines lasted forever.......when somebody scrapped a large absorbent in a scrapyard, and it got punctured they had to close the scrapyard for a day or so...he he he....happy days lol

Abe
23-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Ill get a pic by the weekend

madfriday
24-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Hello Chaps, I think I've got to the bottom of the mystery and identified that LEC fridge. I have found someone trying to sell an identical one with the indtruction manual in Surrey !
The Ad says it is a LEC International P6C made in the 1950's
I have copied the instruction manual. see below.

sweetboy925
18-07-2007, 10:16 AM
hi, but what is the age of the fridge freezer? as i have one that is in our office...anyone out there know???

Abe
18-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Apologies Madfriday, hope youre still with us.
I completely forgot to take pic of the fridge.

Ill do that soon and post a pic

Abes

chillin out
19-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I always thought LEC date stamped their goods?

Sad news about Bognor going down, I knew the tech guy there. Very nice chap, very friendly and helpful. In fact the whole company was very customer friendly.

Regarding the owners manual... I have read one of these and it's very funny.
It keeps going on about 'housewives' and is totally aimed at them using and cleaning the product.....LOL
You would never get away with that kind of talk these days.

Chillin:):)

bernard
20-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi

After leaving the forces I did a lec refrigeration course at bognor,to the rear of the class room was a collection of antique fridges,I,m sorry to hear they closed down and wonder what would have happened to those units??

Regard Bernard

fridge doctor
15-08-2007, 10:13 AM
My parents had one. bought it new 1959.

Just wondering what the Old Town Hall Vaults keeps in theirs ? Pet food hopefully.

madfriday
20-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello again - i think The Vaults just keep finest quality dust in their Lec these days :o
Going back to the other gents' comment about the old antique fridges in the 'classroom' at the Lec factory - i remember seeing those when i went there on a course - think i spent more time looking at them than the course work -wonderfull.
that was a little bit of the country's fridge heritage there....

Davis
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I've got one of the LEC International P6C's that I need to get rid of, anybody in England interested?

wineman
05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
i have spoken to the antiques roadshow and they reckon its not as old as my grannie