PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions

old refrig guy
16-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi All
I have a Luxaire home air conditioner..(personal unit )
I found a leak at the sight glass..took it out of the system...vacuum and held overnight.Recharged the next day..Low side is going into a vaccuum and high side pumping down to 0 Compressor is shutting off on intenal overload after running a while in a vacuum..You think I have a bad compressor or a restriction somewhere?
One note..when I took the sight glass out of the system..I had no blazing equipment...I used coulpings from a local hardware store.I used 5/16 reducers to a 1/4 on both ends.. ( Please be nice ) the system does balance out after the unit shuts off..
Once the system starts..the low side goes quickly into vacuum..eventually..the high goes down to o

Any info is much appreciated

Rodney

The MG Pony
16-06-2006, 11:37 PM
How the hell? The high side going to 0? some thing much worse is afoot if the high side can go to 0psi mate.

Got me stumped less I can look at the system me self.

Brian_UK
16-06-2006, 11:40 PM
I take it that the high side pressure tapping is some way away from the compressor???

If the high side is getting to 0 then it isn't the high side any more, you must of moved it.

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Hi All..The high access valve is at the condenser right after the filter going back to the evap...come on..I didsn't move it..it is in normal location..I also took the top of the condebser off ( the fan ) and the high side filter is ice cold??

Any ideas mates

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Question I have is it possible if there is a striction in the high side filter...can the compressor pump all refrigerant into the condenser..giving me 0 psi

The MG Pony
17-06-2006, 12:23 AM
all refrigerant is gone? thats the only logical thing I can think of and whats left is refrigerating the filter.

Dan
17-06-2006, 12:25 AM
More than likely you have a clogged filter drier, if it is cold. But how did you charge the unit? At what pressure does it equalize after running. A 0 psig high side makes no sense unless you have a major leak. I fear for your unit.

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi..but I'm still getting 120 psi when balancing..when the compressor turns on..the high side never goes up..just down to o

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Dan..the unit held 28 inch of vacum over night..where is a leak..lol

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:39 AM
thanks guys..I thought the best could help!!
Thanks for your input

old refrig guy
17-06-2006, 12:54 AM
come on mates..one more question..can a system with a restriction in the high side cause it it to pump all refrigerant in to a condenser like pumping a system into a receiver leaving me a o pressure??
Last chance for you mates..I'm going to look for a american board who have intelligegence

The MG Pony
17-06-2006, 01:32 AM
lmao wouldn't that be the last place to look for that characteristic? (Btw, what do you think this board IS?)

Joking aside, yes it could be pumping it all into the condenser due to a totally plugged Filter, but now, you must ask, how did it get so plugged in a closed system? As I said you have a far more grave problem other then the original leak.

Perhaps you start from the beginning in really good detail.

Dan
17-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi..but I'm still getting 120 psi when balancing..when the compressor turns on..the high side never goes up..just down to o

Where are you measuring the high side pressure? If it is downstream of the filter drier, your observations all pull together to prove that the liquid line filter drier is clogged.

1. It is possible that you have low pressure after a restricted drier.

2. You can still equalize pressures through the drier, because it is porous even though it is restrictive.

3. The drier is cold, thus you are expanding refrigerant through it proving a restriction.

4. The compressor pulls into a vacuum because of this restriction.

Now, if you are balancing out at 120 psig, this tells me that the coldest part of the system is at 70 deg F (21 deg C). If the coldest part of the system is warmer than this, I wonder if you have a proper charge.

Franzfernando
17-06-2006, 01:12 PM
your system equalises when you have shut it off to 120 psi or so,if you have the line tap in the liquid line after the drier and the pressure drops to 0 when you switch it on then there could be a blockage in the filter.I suggest you replace the filter before you carry on

andy bailess
17-06-2006, 06:02 PM
come on mates..one more question..can a system with a restriction in the high side cause it it to pump all refrigerant in to a condenser like pumping a system into a receiver leaving me a o pressure??
Last chance for you mates..I'm going to look for a american board who have intelligegence

If you had explained your situation better with useful information that us guys could understand,remember were not their to look at it with you,you may have got better responses.
We are intelligent people if given the correct INFO.

Yes to your question if you have your H/P line on the liquid line after the drier and it is blocked you will get 0psi.:eek:

kevinmcggg
04-09-2006, 10:26 PM
you have a restriction. probably in the reduced size couplings

Sledge
05-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi All..The high access valve is at the condenser right after the filter going back to the evap

You are checking high side pressure after the liquid line filter drier. The filter must be plugged up solid.

To answer your question...Yes a system can pump out all the refrigerant out of the high side after a restriction, It happens all the time, as a normal part of a pump down cycle.

t-bone
05-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Might check and see if the drier is flowing in the right direction?