RANGER1
07-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Danfoss Industrial ammonia stop valves.
Any preference for direction?
Reasoning for that.

Thanks

Brian_UK
08-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Do you have a valve model/type as there are different preferences for different models.

Tycho
08-04-2019, 03:33 PM
To achieve optimum flow conditions, the valve should be installed with the flow towards the valve cone as indicated by the arrow on the side of the valve body. Flow in the opposite direction is also acceptable, but slightly reduces the kv- / Cv value.

mbc
08-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Hi
direction of valves

all valves should install in right direction.
seat of valve( Teflon ) has more pressure and get damage in long time

RANGER1
08-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Do you have a valve model/type as there are different preferences for different models.

Brian SVA in general, also SVA250 & 300 valves

RANGER1
08-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Hi
direction of valves

all valves should install in right direction.
seat of valve( Teflon ) has more pressure and get damage in long time

Thanks, do you ever consider gland when valve isolated.
Sometimes when valve isolated to repair say a solenoid etc, gland is on live side.
If you had strainer removed for example & gland started to leak you could be in trouble.

RANGER1
08-04-2019, 09:22 PM
To achieve optimum flow conditions, the valve should be installed with the flow towards the valve cone as indicated by the arrow on the side of the valve body. Flow in the opposite direction is also acceptable, but slightly reduces the kv- / Cv value.

Tycho,
With ICF valve stations Danfoss don't seem to worry about valve direction!
I understand with single stop valves as you have stated.

http://files.danfoss.com/technicalinfo/dila/01/DKRCI.PD.FT1.A7.02_ICF.pdf

ROCKY123
16-04-2019, 05:33 AM
Hi,

Everyone agrees that the stop valves should always close against the flow(flow to open configuration.

This type of flow direction lets the disc to rotate freely on the valve stem. This allows the disc to fit properly against the seat as the valve closes, which results in less seat leakage
It won't expose the PTFE glands or packing directly to high-velocity flow.
It won't cause impurities to trap on top of the disc thus plugging the stem movement.

But check the image from Danfoss. Its a hot gas defrost line and they put stop valves in both directions.

RANGER1
16-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Not everyone uses valves this big, but more common.
See page 6
could be a trap when working on system if pressures build up.
The DL is mostly used as is a lot cheaper.

http://files.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Dila/01/rd7as122.pdf

Tycho
16-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Not everyone uses valves this big, but more common.
See page 6
could be a trap when working on system if pressures build up.
The DL is mostly used as is a lot cheaper.

http://files.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Dila/01/rd7as122.pdf

We mostly use larger valves like this on liquid separators, and on those I always have the valves positiones so the that if the pressure rises in the tank it will push the seat towards closed.

I worked with a technician 20 years ago that was insisting that it should be the other way around so that you wouldn't rip the teflon seat off when opening the valves.

in 22 years I've never had that happen with a main valve.

RANGER1
16-04-2019, 08:57 PM
We mostly use larger valves like this on liquid separators, and on those I always have the valves positiones so the that if the pressure rises in the tank it will push the seat towards closed.

I worked with a technician 20 years ago that was insisting that it should be the other way around so that you wouldn't rip the teflon seat off when opening the valves.

in 22 years I've never had that happen with a main valve.

Tycho, thanks for reply, you used to man of many words, now man of few words!

These particular Danfoss valves have two valve seats, one smaller one to allow easier opening against pressure.
In real terms valve direction is not critical if sized correctly or not.
I personally don't like the idea of valve gland live on liquid lines or hot gas.
While servicing & it later leaks, your in trouble straight up while you are cleaning a strainer, solenoid etc.