PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Inverter Purchase/Install

mick2me
12-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Can anyone advise on this.
I have been looking at the Mitsubishi SRK**ZD Units.

I intend to do all the heavy work of installing the units, pipe runs and electrics, then get a refrigeration engineer to vac out and commission the units.

Any advice on Mitsubishi or alternative units would be appreciated.

Am I right for going with a unit with 410a?

Brian_UK
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Welcome Mick, sparkies always ;)

Using R410a seems the way to go now, it does make the units a bit smaller for the output so there is a gain there.

Can understand your suggestion of installing yourself but have to ask the question:- Do you know how to braze and the requirements for doing refrigeration pipework?

Andy AC
12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Good choice of unit, great performance and value for money. Ive just ordered one for myself -just a standard srk40hd though.
Only down side is that on the smaller units - up to srk50
wiring the interconnect when machine is on the wall is a real pain in the wotsit.
R410a not a problem if right tools and methods used.

No offence Mick, but over the years I have noticed that sparkies and a/c systems don't mix well !

Good luck anyway mate

mick2me
13-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome and prompt replies.

In a former life I installed Freezers and cold rooms for a large food chain in the midlands. The rerigeration side was dealt with by our fridge engineers.

Are you saying that these units will require some brazing work? (If so the engineer could do this.) I thought they would be flared at both ends of the pipes?

Also I have read that the pipes need connecting by means of a torque wrench, is this true?

There are easy fit units, that I have considered, with clip together flexible pipes, but I am not sure how good the actual AC units are themselves.

mick2me
13-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Good choice of unit, great performance and value for money. Ive just ordered one for myself -just a standard srk40hd though.
Only down side is that on the smaller units - up to srk50
wiring the interconnect when machine is on the wall is a real pain in the wotsit.
R410a not a problem if right tools and methods used.

No offence Mick, but over the years I have noticed that sparkies and a/c systems don't mix well !

Good luck anyway mate

Andy

I noticed the same thing with plumbers ;)

I did struggle to find many suppliers for the SRK or similar units, so that I can shop around.

I will get the supplier to make up the pipes to my measurements, when I order the units.

Brian_UK
13-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Mick, if you are installing with a short pipe run, less than the length of a coil of copper then you could get away without brazing any joints.

R410a does require dedicated flaring tools and the use of a torque wrench.

I will get the supplier to make up the pipes to my measurementsThat is always an option assuming that they will do that for you.

mick2me
13-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks Brian

So brazing is for Pipe joining.
I expect the pipe run to be no more than 5-6 metres.
So just flared connections?

Reading the requirements for installing units that run on R410a is an eye opener!

http://www.bdt.co.nz/comfortmaster/data/manuals/r410a_guide.pdf

Makeit go Right
13-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Suggest:
a) Make sure you keep the pipe ends sealed with some tape to prevent moisture getting inside, until the fridge engineer shows up to make the unit connections etc.

b) Read the install manual as to required space around the units when mounting them.

mick2me
13-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Suggest:
a) Make sure you keep the pipe ends sealed with some tape to prevent moisture getting inside, until the fridge engineer shows up to make the unit connections etc.

b) Read the install manual as to required space around the units when mounting them.

Thank you

Any advice on how good these are?
They say "Flexible lines. No vacuum pump or engineer required for installation."?

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/5c/63/67_1_b.JPG

andy bailess
13-06-2006, 04:51 PM
mick if your going to use the above flexi pipes make sure you wear gloves and can push the pipes on with considerable force as they tend to loose refrigerant.

Brian_UK
13-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Forgive the question Mick but are those flexi pipe suggested for use with R410a?

Also, does the a/c unit come with the correct fittings to accept those pipes?

Any flexi pipe I would consider dubious for use on R410a due to the higer working pressures involved, a proper brazed or flared joint every time.

mick2me
14-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Forgive the question Mick but are those flexi pipe suggested for use with R410a?

Also, does the a/c unit come with the correct fittings to accept those pipes?

Any flexi pipe I would consider dubious for use on R410a due to the higer working pressures involved, a proper brazed or flared joint every time.

I thought the same Brian, being aware of the Pressure of 410a.

But here is the spec sheet for a 'Quick Couple' 410 inverter.

http://global-cooling.co.uk/airconditioning/uk/information/inverter-specification.pdf

Brian_UK
14-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Mick, I stand corrected, bemused but advised ;)

mick2me
14-06-2006, 07:25 PM
You've got me wondering how good these connections are. I dont see how you can connect them without a small amount of air getting into the system. And what effect would that have?

There must be a lot of people installing these systems from DIY stores.

Brian_UK
14-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Having a closer look at those quick couplers and it does look as though they are made a bit stronger than the ones we may all have been thinking of.

The older ones, R22 etc, were simply a screwed connector, male/female ends of course, with a thin metal seal over the pipe ends. You had to start the threads and then crank up the spanners as fast as you could !! You didn't normally have any air gettting into the system because you were busy losing gas through the joints that you were frantically trying to do up.

The joints shown in your picture seem to have a more psoitive action. It looks like you push the female pipe end into the male unit socket and perhaps lock it together somehow.

The lever by the guys left hand seems to have a cam attached which will make the final connection thereby breaking the pipe seals and closing the joint.

Mind you, you won't find them on a Mitsi :)

frank
15-06-2006, 07:20 PM
The joints shown in your picture seem to have a more psoitive action.

Hi Brian

Are you just testing the other Brian's theory about the letters being jumbled up :D

Brian_UK
15-06-2006, 07:59 PM
No Frank, I've just spotted it myself and was about to correct when I saw your post.

Now I don't know whether to correct or not; I had better leave it otherwise your post will look as bad as mine ;)

mick2me
18-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Not sure what the Letters jumbled stuff is, but anyway. I did buy one, not sure if I did the right thing here but I bought...

DAIKIN INVERTER R410A SPLIT SERIES

FTXS25CVMB WALL INTERNAL WALL MOUNTED UNIT

RXS25CVMB OUTSIDE UNIT
AIR PURIFYING FILTER
REMOTE CONTROL & HOLDER

AVAILABLE FEATURES INCLUDE
AUTO.DRY.COOL.HEAT.FAN
OUTDOOR UNIT SILENT OPERATION TIMER & HOME LEAVE OPERATION

Looks like it will be a flared connection afterall.:D

Spec can be seen at...
http://www.easyventilation.com/images/daikin/wall_mounted_spec.pdf

frank
18-06-2006, 06:45 PM
DAIKIN INVERTER R410A SPLIT SERIES

FTXS25CVMB WALL INTERNAL WALL MOUNTED UNIT

RXS25CVMB OUTSIDE UNIT
AIR PURIFYING FILTER
REMOTE CONTROL & HOLDER

AVAILABLE FEATURES INCLUDE
AUTO.DRY.COOL.HEAT.FAN
OUTDOOR UNIT SILENT OPERATION TIMER & HOME LEAVE OPERATION

Good Choice. :)

But these don't come with quick couplers on the pipework. You will need to pressure test and vacuum before opening the stop valves.

mick2me
18-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I will pick this up in a couple of days. When I get a chance to look at it I will sort a position out for the outside unit. I may get some brackets and fix it higher up on the wall to minimise ingress of dust.

I am still undecided as to it serving the lounge or bedroom.

I am a lot happier with the flared connection too.

I have been reminded by SWMBO that I have a number of jobs to complete before I start this one.:(

The spec does not give the length of the interconnecting cable, but I assume it can be extended.

Once mounted and wired I will be looking for an engineer to Vac down and check final gas pressure.

Brian_UK
18-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Frank, you must be getting telepathic, you can sell from afar now:D

Slim R410a
19-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I will pick this up in a couple of days. When I get a chance to look at it I will sort a position out for the outside unit. I may get some brackets and fix it higher up on the wall to minimise ingress of dust.

I am still undecided as to it serving the lounge or bedroom.

I am a lot happier with the flared connection too.

I have been reminded by SWMBO that I have a number of jobs to complete before I start this one.:(

The spec does not give the length of the interconnecting cable, but I assume it can be extended.

Once mounted and wired I will be looking for an engineer to Vac down and check final gas pressure.

You dont get interconnecting cable with a proper split like you have bought, but you will need some 4-core 1.5mm.

If your using an isolator on the indoor unit then dont break the number 3. (comms) :)

frank
19-06-2006, 09:16 PM
If your using an isolator on the indoor unit then dont break the number 3. (comms) :)

Good advice :) . Certainly don't put it through the isolator where it could pick up interference. (Crimp it seperately).

Also important is to make sure that you have a good neutral otherwise you will blow the inverter board at switch on.

puddleboy3
19-06-2006, 09:24 PM
As already pointed out good choice of unit, the only thing i can throw in to the thread is i would recommend that you cut off the indoor flare nuts and braze the connections, makes a far neater job!:)

mick2me
20-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks

The electrical advice will mean more to me when I see the manual. The Piping side will be dealt with by an engineer. I hope to collect it towards the end of the week.

Brian_UK
20-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Glad that it's all coming together for you Mick.

Just follow good electrical practice, as you would, and you shouldn't have any problems.

In this case you have to think about your own safety as you are your own customer ;)

mick2me
21-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Glad that it's all coming together for you Mick.

Just follow good electrical practice, as you would, and you shouldn't have any problems.

In this case you have to think about your own safety as you are your own customer ;)

Thanks Brian.

The four core 1.5 cable (or 2.00mm if over 10m)
I have got to sort? Having read online manual I see
the no 3 connecting wire and reason for not isolating it. LIve Neutral Earth Signal.

I may collect the unit tonight or tomorrow.
There will be no doubt more Q's then :rolleyes:

Ta'
Mick T.

S_Line
30-06-2006, 05:41 PM
As already pointed out good choice of unit, the only thing i can throw in to the thread is i would recommend that you cut off the indoor flare nuts and braze the connections, makes a far neater job!:)

yep cant agree more, the connection to the inside unit MUST be brazed, we always Braze these as they are always either behind the unit or halfway through a wall, we have been called to many ( other installs) where these have not been brazed and had to take the whole wall unit down , braze and re install costing the customer a small fortune :(

Always braze the back of wall units, it takes 10 Min's max and will provide the customer with a proper job :)

mick2me
01-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks for that.

Are we saying that the connection on the indoor unit is not reliable?

Brazing does that mean that the pipes need to be charged with nitrogen?

Anyways I picked the Daikin Inverter unit up last week, and am very pleased with the quality of the units.

First question on this is regarding the pipe.

Daikin specify
GAS OD 9.5 mm
liquid OD 6.4 mm
thickness 0.8 mm

I know someone who has a coil of
1/4 X 22G- 6.35 X 0.71MM
Is this suitable?

Also Other sizes I have seen listed are Imperial?
1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 5/8"

Are there imperial sizes and metric?

What do I buy for the Daikin spec pipe?

Thanks

frank
01-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Normal refrigeration quality 1/4" and 3/8" pipework will be fine.

Don't get concerned about having to braze the indoor connections, it's not compulsory and the flare joints are OK if made correctly - some engineers prefer to cut off the flares and make a brazed joint. I do it too when the flares would end up in to the wall with no future access.

As you intend to get a fridge guy in to vac out and commission why don't you get him to make the flares?

Andy
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Normal refrigeration quality 1/4" and 3/8" pipework will be fine.

Don't get concerned about having to braze the indoor connections, it's not compulsory and the flare joints are OK if made correctly - some engineers prefer to cut off the flares and make a brazed joint. I do it too when the flares would end up in to the wall with no future access.

As you intend to get a fridge guy in to vac out and commission why don't you get him to make the flares?

Hi:)

in defense of flares the new offset rotary flaring gear is great, you don't even ream the pipe and provided your cutters are sharp the flare comes out like a machined flare:)

I will confess if the flare is hard to get at I would smear high strength lock tight on the flare mating surface, it will never leak, but be careful don't use too much, my mate says I block gomex fittings:D :D

Kind Regards Andy:)

mick2me
01-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks Frank & Andy.

I checked the indoor Unit for the first time today.
The pipes come out of the right hand side looking from the front. They terminate in the center of the unit, which is where the joint will be. If I take the pipe run in through the left hand side of the unit, there will be access to the joints by lifting the inside unit off its mounting plate.

I was suprised to see that both pipes ran in one insulation sleeve? Surely isnt one very hot and the other cold. Should they not be thermally insulated from one another?

Talking of getting an engineer?
I will make that subject of another thread post.
By which you may or may not be suprised!

frank
01-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Talking of getting an engineer?

You did in your first post.

I intend to do all the heavy work of installing the units, pipe runs and electrics, then get a refrigeration engineer to vac out and commission the units.

mick2me
02-07-2006, 12:04 AM
No, Frank I met an engineer the other day.

Here is my experience!

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5160

mick2me
10-07-2006, 11:16 PM
R410a does require dedicated flaring tools and the use of a torque wrench.

Can someone explain this.

Is it a different shape of flare?

And what type of Tork wrench is used for the nut?

Brian_UK
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
In theory you are flaring a slightly thicker pipe wall and the tool allows for this by 'forming' the flare not just squeezing the flare shape out of the pipe.

The torque wrench is an open ended spanner head that fits into the torque wrench handle. The handle will 'snap' at the correct setting.

mick2me
10-07-2006, 11:36 PM
In theory you are flaring a slightly thicker pipe wall and the tool allows for this by 'forming' the flare not just squeezing the flare shape out of the pipe.

The torque wrench is an open ended spanner head that fits into the torque wrench handle. The handle will 'snap' at the correct setting.

Thanks Brian, in my research I have never seen a flaring tool that specifies that it is suitable for 410 or a thicker grade of pipe?.

mick2me
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Good advice :) . Certainly don't put it through the isolator where it could pick up interference. (Crimp it seperately).

Now I am wondering if I am reading this right?

Putting it through the Isolator?

I am running the 2.5mm T&E feed to the inverter back entry into a 20A rotary disconnector

http://www.moeller.co.uk/images/ci-k_disconnector.jpg

Breaking live and neutral, bottom exit via flexible conduit to feed the inverter. The 1.5mm 3 core and earth leaves the inverter by the same flexible conduit, to the switch box, but is not broken by the switch. It just exits through the back of the switch into the house, running up the wall inside before rejoining the pipework on its route to the interior unit.

This allows the use of light Twin & Earth, and 3 Core and earth cable as opposed to Armoured cable.

Are you saying that running the control cable through the isolator will cause some kind of interferance?

Brian_UK
11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I think he is saying that you shouldn't put the control wire through the switch contacts, "crimp it". Ideally the control and power wires could be separated but in practice very rarely are.

However if you put them through a switch the line quality can fall and the signal gets corrupted. Depending on the make etc the control signal may be a modulated 12vdc or a modulated 120v or a carrier low voltage, so any break in the line can cause problems.

PS see other thread for flaring data ;)

mick2me
11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
I think he is saying that you shouldn't put the control wire through the switch contacts, "crimp it". Ideally the control and power wires could be separated but in practice very rarely are.

However if you put them through a switch the line quality can fall and the signal gets corrupted. Depending on the make etc the control signal may be a modulated 12vdc or a modulated 120v or a carrier low voltage, so any break in the line can cause problems.

The three core & earth will pass straight through the switch box without breaking the conductor, conductor insulation, or outer cable insulation. Though it will run parallel to the 2.5mm power supply cable for about a metre, and passes close by the switch (which would only be operated under emergency conditions).

As the entire lenghts of the three core & earth interior unit feed, will carry 240v parallel to the signal cable, I cant see it causing any more intereference passing it through the switch?

Im just wondering where running a signal cable alongside 240v cores fits with the IEE regs?

Brian_UK
11-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Im just wondering where running a signal cable alongside 240v cores fits with the IEE regs?Sorry, have the Japanese read the IEE Regs:D ;) :D

Honestly there are very rarely problems on splits, it can be more sensitive on the VRF/VRV type kit because the data list and flow is probably greater.

TopMechanic
11-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah you pickup about 5% capacity fo rthe same physical size unit, and at a higher SEER rating. Drawback is , its like a loaded gun at the pressures it runs. JMO,

mick2me
11-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Sorry, have the Japanese read the IEE Regs:D ;) :D

Yes, Silly Me! http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/html/emoticons/tony.gif

frank
12-07-2006, 07:30 AM

Exactly Brian :)

BS7671 recommend a minimum seperation of 300mm between data and power cables but in practice this isn't possible on an split install. Just don't put the data cable through the switch contacts.;)

mick2me
12-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Just a point about Earth Bonding.

I intend to run a 6mm bonding cable from the consumer unit via the flexible conduit, and earth bond the brackets and inverter assembly.
Any comments on 'Equipotential Bonding' ?

mick2me
12-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Yeah you pickup about 5% capacity fo rthe same physical size unit, and at a higher SEER rating. Drawback is , its like a loaded gun at the pressures it runs. JMO,

Efficient, Powerful, and a novel method of committing suicide:rolleyes:

frank
12-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Just a point about Earth Bonding.

I intend to run a 6mm bonding cable from the consumer unit via the flexible conduit, and earth bond the brackets and inverter assembly.
Any comments on 'Equipotential Bonding' ?

Why?

The CPC within your T&E will be sufficient and the whole casing will be connected to it, therefore, so will your brackets (and the missus when she touches it :D ).
Equipotential bonding ensures that all metallic parts are at the same potential. Unless you are installing seperate traywork for your cables/pipes to run on then you don't need a seperate earth.

mick2me
12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Why?

The CPC within your T&E will be sufficient and the whole casing will be connected to it, therefore, so will your brackets (and the missus when she touches it :D ).
Equipotential bonding ensures that all metallic parts are at the same potential. Unless you are installing seperate traywork for your cables/pipes to run on then you don't need a seperate earth.

Exactly, Pointless, Bonding items together via cable link, that are themselves physically bonded together, and already a good conductor of electricity.

Bonding Soldered pipework a good example.
OTT but required by the said regs? (perhaps not 'Big in Japan'):D

However, as I have the cable and the clips, and it will take 5 mins, I will do it. It will look good on any inspection.

"Bull**!t", I call it! :)

Slim R410a
13-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Mick are you getting an engineer to do all the pipework, pressure testing etc and when??

mick2me
13-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I have changed the run of pipes now. Its much simpler run, One 90 bend at the Inverter one at the wall. Not a problem for me to pull the pipes in now, with the aid of a bending spring. Just like Pyro, anyone remember that?

However extesive reading here and elswhere, has convinced me that flaring pipe, ensuring leakproof system and vaccing out are a professionals job.

I am (or was) a sparky, mate, so, feel competant to mount units and do the electrics. In fact all the bits I do are probably overkill, doubling up on fixings, earthing bits that probably dont need earthing etc.

I am nowhere near that stage yet, as I have had to have the (stainless steel) brackets cut and drilled by an engineering firm.

Slim R410a
14-07-2006, 08:41 AM
If youre near the stage when youl be needing an engineer I'm offering to help you with that.

mick2me
14-07-2006, 08:32 PM
If youre near the stage when youl be needing an engineer I'm offering to help you with that.

I sent you a PM

Prince Vaillant
27-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Have you thought about using Armacell fitting or R410a Hose

Grizzly
27-03-2009, 05:17 PM
:mad:And what sort of friendly advise does these direct sales links to your company website contain?

I have complained to the moderators
This sort of link is direct sales however
concealed.:mad:
Grizzly

Argus
27-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Well spotted, Grizz, but the original post is nearly three years old.............

P V never spotted it and it always gives us mods a chuckle when ancient posts get resurrected. :D :D

All nicely edited, now.;)

Prince Vaillant
27-03-2009, 09:08 PM
i still dont get it! i was again only trying to help. how th f88k do i offer help without linking to a product you tell me?

raz5
27-03-2009, 09:57 PM
keep watching those date stamps ... lol

hell of an install that takes that long .............

Argus
28-03-2009, 11:38 AM
keep watching those date stamps ... lol

hell of an install that takes that long .............

;)
Probably a Vai....... No, I won't go there.....:D:D

Prince Vaillant
28-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Ahhh i now check the date :o:o:o!

LOL :D