PDA

View Full Version : Our schools

subzero*psia
15-12-2001, 04:53 AM
Where to start...

All of us went to one school or another, be it the school of hard knocks or a university, and we are all proud of that school... as well we all should be. It guided us down the road of life... (perhaps its bumpy but we're not stuck out in the middle of the woods! LOL!) And we all hold our "teachers" up on pedestals... which takes me to the story.

I don't like to say I had a favorite teacher... they were all GREAT! I went to FSU of M (better than MSU of M... LOL!!). When I went to my first technical class... I was as lost as a golf ball lying somewhere in the middle of the Pacific!

I had a very hard teacher that was teaching us "basic" refrigeration. I am sure that some folks on this board that went to this school will know exactly who I am speaking of! He could quote Dossat like honey rolling off his tongue... and everyone of us in that class thought for sure that we had just kissed a ton of money out the window! LOL!! It didn't stop there... we had this teacher for a whole year straight! God have mercy!!

BUT... we learned, he made us learn. I can't even begin to quote Dossat as he did, but I sure learned how to find what I was looking for! I remember that all of us in my class complained about that instructor on more than one occassion... but today... I am thankful for him. He was a hard person to learn from but learn you did and well, because he did teach the "basics". I guess my point here is that he could have taught us in a simpler manner, one that we would have grasped more quickly... but it wasn't his style, he made you dig for it and he made you question yourself, your own judgement until you were thoroughly convinced that you were right, and then you began to question his judgement! LOL!! I remember once he had me so pissed that I had tears in my eyes... seriously. LOL! To this day ... I count him as one "of" the best teachers I had... he is retired now, hopefully still doing well. I lost contact with him some few years ago.

I had other teachers that made us learn more rapidly but it wasn't until later that I completely realized why... it was because we had a strong foundation to which they could build at an even more rapid pace. I will say this though... dang I wouldn't want to go through that again! There is an old saying ... "If you don't use it, you lose it." But I learned from ALL my teachers... WHERE TO FIND IT, and that is probably the most important thing a person can learn in life. So it is never lost, just set aside for a time.

I still have all of my books, notes etc. and have even built quite an extensive library. I would be lying if I said I had read everything!! Some of the books I have collected... I haven't even cracked them open, but I have them... all the way back to the turn of the century (1900), and I am still collecting them... hoping to find some that are older, out of print, discarded technology etc. I suppose that one day I will donate what I have to someone else or a school.

There is another old saying... "What goes around comes around." I think alot of the old technology will come back around but with some new twist so that it wouldn't be "called" old technology. "A horse by any other name."

Sorry if I have babbled... I am just thinking about all the different teaching techniques and how or why one works versus another. To all my professors... I thank you.

subzero*psia
15-12-2001, 05:09 AM
pro·fes·sor (pr-fsr)
n.

A college or university teacher who ranks above an associate professor.
A teacher or instructor.
One who professes

You are now "professors", be about your business... LOL!! ;)