PDA

View Full Version : LG Warranty - Restrictive Trickery

Makeit go Right
12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I am mid quoting for maintenance of LG and Sanyo systems installed by others, and see that LG have a restrictive angle on their warranty, in that the 3year warranty is only available to the company that installed the kit originally.

Thus if a bright new company comes on the scene {like mine} they do not have a level playing field against the original installer, especially with respect to the LG units that are not known for their freedom from defects. (I believe Mitsubishi do the same thing with their warranty).

Not just that, LG/LG distributors will not even allow the customer to benefit from the warranty – just the original installer.

Obviously, a customer does not want to get into the mess of chasing up LG replacement parts from/via the original installer so that a new company can fit them; the customer just wants the maintenance company to deal with all of that. Thus the original installer has created a huge advantage for himself in the competition for the maint contracts in the 3 years after install.

I thought there was a change in the law recently (last year or so) where the warranty on goods was a three-way thing, between the manufacturer, the installer, and the end-user/customer. Does anyone have more on this?

Does anyone else come up against this problem, and what approaches/ideas can be used to level things up, for the benefit of the new company arriving on the scene, seeking the maintenance contract?

NoNickName
12-06-2006, 05:26 PM
A quick reading at http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=EN&numdoc=31999L0044&model=guichett which is the European Warranty Directive would easily take LG lawyers back to their drawing board.