PDA

View Full Version : help me decide

wizzer
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Hello to HE members

I,m just starting out on monday in my new company van after serving a year as an engineers assistant(dogs body).

I have to decide within the next week which direction i want to go, engineer or installations.

I enjoy both and the boss is trying to push me towards service but that means 2 years at college on fairly decent wages but the install guys earn quite a lot.

Which way should i go,any help would be welcomed.

Brian_UK
11-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Welcome Wizzer, I hope that means you move around quickly and not that you are always looking for a toilet:rolleyes:

I know it's tricky at your age but try and look a bit further ahead than the next pay cheque. If you go for the install side you may well end 'always' being an installer - not that there's anything wrong with that folks.

If you attend college for a bit longer your knowledge base will increase and the work that you do will improve and also become more interesting.

In the long run you may well be earning more than the installer who now has a bad back and sore knees:D

cool it
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
totally agree with the first post.
I started off as a "dogs body" then went into installing air con while also having a bit of maintenance work..
I was earning godd money installing and i thought wow i was only young ..
ive been to college and went into servicing 4 years ago and now earn double what my install mates are earning..
at the end of the day its what you think you would apply yourself better too.
i am glad i did install because i now have knowledge of how there put in and now also how they work etc.
im sure whatever you choose will be the right decision just follow your heart not the money at first...
the money will come..
eg.. i have been on call this wkend and have earnt a week and a halfs wages in two days.. :D
and only been out the house for a total of 6 hrs

Brian_UK
11-06-2006, 10:57 PM
eg.. i have been on call this wkend and have earnt a week and a halfs wages in two days.. :D
and only been out the house for a total of 6 hrsSh*t, I hate to hear that:eek: :D :D

And you didn't fix that chiller either did you ;)

cool it
11-06-2006, 11:17 PM
ha no i didnt mate .... :rolleyes:
trying to find info out as it gives the impression of short of gas but seems to wiered..
oh well will sort it eventually ...