PDA

View Full Version : Piping Advice

Mickvee
09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Just about to quote on a job where it looks like the installer was not paided pay he previous owner of the building and decided to cut the piping and wiring out to the condenser units on the outside of the building. The piping has been open to the atmosphere for 3 months. My question is would you just replace the cut away 2 metres of pipe, or replace the complete piping.:confused:

cool it
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Definately replace the whole pipe.
no point replacing just the 2 metres.
If you replace the whole lot you will know that its sound then.
How long is the pipe run by the way and what size pipe ?

Brian_UK
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
You might also need to look at the evaporators as well.

aeb200
09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
is it really worth the warrranty calls if moisture or debris f**ks up the system??
will it make or break your quote if you have to replace the pipework??
if the customer wants a cheap job give him/ her the options of a proper job or the cut corners way so you can say I told you so if it goes tits up.

if you have to use the pipework make sure it holds a low torr when you vac out (2-6 torr) in this ambient this is the only way to ensure moisture free. You may also wish to blow through pipwork with nitrogen to remove any outside debris\ dirt.

JimmyMurphy
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Find out who the last installer was and report him for venting to atmosphere. There are alot of different routes to getting paid other then just cutting pipes and jeopardizing the whole system :S

Mickvee
10-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I know this custormer would like a cheap job, so I was looking at triple vacing the system. I estimate there is about 12 metre line lenghts of which 2 metres is missing as it exits the outside wall. I also said he should find out the original installer and come to some arrangement.

Andy W
10-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I would find out who installed it originally and speak to them, is there a guarantee that you will get paid, will you have to stand any warranty, when things start to go wrong will you get the blame or not paid. If it was me I would find out off the original installers why they ripped it out, if it was because of payment I would tell the client to go and **** himself, when I get new customers I always enquire who and why are you after my services, I know all the engineers in my area and you soon get to know the bad payers and awkward customers.

andy bailess
11-06-2006, 09:45 AM
No point doing it if your not going to get paid, my advice is leave this customer alone theirs always better work round the corner.

Mickvee
11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
This customer who wants this job doing is the new owner of the building who found out the extent of some of the debts when he took over the building, and is trying to go into the paper work to find out the installer of the system, but without success.

Andy W
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I would not get involved, that is just my opinion.

Jack Robinson
11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi there, I would quote to do the job properly, Ie replace the pipe work, change the oil and drier, vac out you can JB the wiring, but get some payment up front, if only to cover the parts.