PDA

View Full Version : R32 Refrigerant

barrie48
13-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Hello All
I am finding it difficult to get a straight answer from my supplier of aluminium refrigeration quality tube, may be some one here can help please, " Is aluminium tube safe to use with R32 Refrigerant gas".

Thanks in anticipation.
Bazza.

cadwaladr
13-04-2018, 06:04 PM
I don't trust this type of pipe it was around when copper increased in price sorry I opt out quality beats price,only my opinion

Brian_UK
13-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Ask the pipe manufacturer.

RCBARBER
13-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Cant see why it would be an issue

cadwaladr
14-04-2018, 02:29 AM
I may have misread some time ago there was pipe which was a combination of copper and aluminium being sold that is the item I did not trust, but I would always use copper

barrie48
14-04-2018, 12:13 PM
As I thought, nobody actually knows the answer, I am waiting for a reply from the manufacturer.
I also did not trust this tubing as I was weaned on copper, bit have been using it for about six years in place of copper on A/C installs and have had absolutely no problems at all, so I can only speck as I find.
I will post when I get an answer from the experts.
Thanks for your opinions.
Bazza

Rob White
14-04-2018, 03:44 PM

There are a few types.

Pure copper
Pure aluminium

Pure copper with an aluminium sleeve.

As far as I know they are all suitable for R32.
R32 is 50% of R410A so I don't think there are any
Issues with the pure R32.

Aluminium has its positive points but it is like Marmite,
You either love it or hate it. The sleeved version can be
brazed but it takes more skill than normal copper so
they promote those compression fittings and they are
another Marmite product.

Rob

Brian_UK
14-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Also, domestic refrigerator evaporators were often made out of aluminium and used hydrocarbons.

barrie48
14-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Thanks All for input,
Its the pure ali type, yes we braze it with dedicated fluxed rod, works well, only reason I asked was on the R32 info, it will react with ali and zinc when exposed to flame. Started me thinking.
Thanks Bazza.

Rob White
14-04-2018, 09:18 PM

When will R32 be exposed to a flame, rhetorical question I know :)

The only time other than brazing is if the thing was on fire and by then the building would be being evacuated. Brazing would be done with OFN purged so that should not be a problem so I can't see why it would be a problem.

I will ask someone who works with Lawton tubes, they supply Dean & Wood, HRP and others. Any information I find I will pass on.

:)

Rob