PDA

View Full Version : equipped to survive

wellcold
12-12-2001, 07:36 PM
Equipped to survive
An easy load calculation problem I thought, as I was toying with the idea of winter insulating my igloo tent, so that ideally, the body heat of one person will heat the inside to a comfortable temperature, with outside temperatures of –40 degree Celsius
If it is possible.
How thick would I need the insulation to be if it was polyurethane?
The igloo tent is 2 meters by 1.3 meters with an apex height of 1.3 meters.
In my college days I could have worked it out by applying cold store cooling load formulas Q=MC (T1-T2) I don’t know the respiration heat of humans or the U value of polyurethane and am vague about the implications of infiltration loads. (Leaving or entering the insulated area)
I am going to need to consider other air conditioning factors as well.

In the artic, snow holes with 1 meter of overhead snow insulation provide a comfortable environment with the heat of a candle and has a cold trap area dug below the living area. If you’re below the tree line brushwood bevies and firewalls debatably provide a comfortable environment with an all night fire watch.
I am not sure of the utility or practicality of insulated, perhaps air conditioned tents turned into lightweight environmental survival capsules.

Easy load calculation problem! Forget it
www.swandomestics.co.uk

subzero*psia
11-01-2002, 02:51 AM
I've seen infomercials about HOMES built of styrene products. Tough, repairable and virtually NO heating or cooling system is needed to maintain temperature. Simple household appliances put off enough btu's to heat a home built with it. I haven't seen any of these homes being built though... I suppose it is due to fire danger, perhaps sick (too tight construction) home syndrome or something? I would like to see one though.

WELLCOLD: do a search on the product, I am sure the R factors and suggested thickness' are available online.

Another thing I have tossed around is the "STRAW" construction home. They have very impressive facts and stories... I may build one yet!!:D

Abe
11-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Dean,

Sorry, I called you "sub" last post.
About building green, go to this site

http://www.findhorn.org/

Youll find a lot of intresting stuff there
Click on ECOVILLAGE

Theve got lot of buildings using straw insulation

subzero*psia
12-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Think nothing of calling me "sub"... I didn't. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I love that stuff... someday I hope to build a home that is VERY efficient. I would like to move back north... MICHIGAN... thats my home... miss it terribly sometimes.

Thanks, and call me sub anytime you like, no worries. ;)

Gary
12-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Aside from a couple years in the Army, I've never lived anywhere but Michigan. I'm not sure if I would miss it. Every winter I threaten to move to a warmer climate.

subzero*psia
13-01-2002, 10:07 PM
You will miss it if you do... I live near Dayton Ohio now... FLAT... soybean.... corn.... strawberries! LOL!!

I miss the woods, the rolling hillsides... neighbors were at least 1/4 mile apart or further. I grew up near Big Rapids area... but I absolutely love the Manton - Kalkaska area. Where are you from Gary?

Gary
13-01-2002, 11:21 PM
I grew up in Detroit, went to school in Big Rapids, lived in Cadillac for a few years but couldn't make a living. Now I'm just south of Detroit. The suburbs of the suburbs, Trenton. Ain't no woods around here, nor rolling hillsides (unless you count Mount Trashmore). And the neighbors live on top of each other (so to speak). :)