PDA

View Full Version : Grease build up

Andy AC
06-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi guys
Whats your preffered choice of chemical, or method for cleaning seriously greasy condensers in hot comercial kitchens?
the condensers on the fridges I was working on today get so hot that the grease becoming molten and oozing all over the top of the fridges. (fosters)
All I seemed to do was just move it around a bit not clean it much at all. I've never seen so much grease on a condenser before, it a miracle the fridges were still working.
Also, where is the best place to get foster door seals?

wambat
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
I like a portable steam cleaner.

frank
06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I also like to use Flash with Bleach. Works a treat - and smells good :)

chillin out
06-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Take it off, seal it up and put it through their dishwasher.
This might seem like it's going to take a long time to do and is also a pain in the a$$, but it's well worth it in the end.

Chillin:) :)

frank
06-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant where the indoor fan coil has not been serviced for at least 6 years ? :eek: Talk about covered in fat and grease.

The best solution I've ever used has been Flash with Bleach. I swear by it.

Certainly beats all the 'proprierty cleaners' out there.

As the gay man said - "don't knock it until you've tried it" :D

slingblade
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant where the indoor fan coil has not been serviced for at least 6 years ? :eek: Talk about covered in fat and grease.

The best solution I've ever used has been Flash with Bleach. I swear by it.

Certainly beats all the 'proprierty cleaners' out there.

As the gay man said - "don't knock it until you've tried it" :D

Yes i have been to a Chinese restaurant and seen the horrors that go with it. this is why if my phone rings and the person sounds chinese or rag headed in any way at all the only thing they hear is "wrong number mate" followed by a click and line dead tone.

RSFN1974
07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi there

If the kitchen is very roomy and with a good ventilationsystem, i would try burning the grease of. Simply turn of the fridge (quite important), pour some flammable liquid on the grease and light it. Might seem a little rough on the material, but it's certainly effective. Maybe you shouldn't do it on newer systems running on r290 or r600 though. Might be a little risky :eek: !

Cheers

leftjobrunning
07-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi there

If the kitchen is very roomy and with a good ventilationsystem, i would try burning the grease of. Simply turn of the fridge (quite important), pour some flammable liquid on the grease and light it. Might seem a little rough on the material, but it's certainly effective. Maybe you shouldn't do it on newer systems running on r290 or r600 though. Might be a little risky :eek: !

Cheers
Be fun explaining this in your permit to work in a chemical plant or airport. "Ya I'm gonna douse it in petrol and smoke it, do i need a hot work for that?"

RSFN1974
07-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Be fun explaining this in your permit to work in a chemical plant or airport. "Ya I'm gonna douse it in petrol and smoke it, do i need a hot work for that?"

Besides from the risk if it's HC refrigerant you're most certainly right. There might be other risks in doing it this way. But hey! I'm not telling people to do it this way - just sharing experiences. Be careful out there HEHE :o

nh3wizard
07-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Its not really hard to tell how Slingblade feels

Temprite
07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Engine degreser, followed by hot water and plenty of rags to soak up the mess.:)

Andy T
07-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Grease gobler in a spay a tin or oven cleaner.Makes cough if you don't wash it off after,before running the unit.

Raven
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi.Andy.

The best way I found was to remove the condenser
fan motor assy.(foster).Spray on Grease Gobbler from
the inside out leave and then wash with flash and
bleach you will be suprised with the end result.To stop
it getting this way again cover condenser with filter
its easy to change filter and quicker.The best place
for door seals for foster is foster once you have the
Model and Serial No.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raven.

Andy AC
09-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys, i'll give some of those a try next time I'm passing

Abe
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
This is what I do, Andy
I dont mess around

I take the old condenser out.
I chuck it in the bin.

I braze a sparkling clean brand new one complete with fan assembly in its place.

Job done.
Bingo

and............I charge the guy for the privilege
I come home smelling roses

Abe
09-06-2006, 11:03 AM
All this burning, cleaning, rags............
Your hands get covered in crap.

Your clothes get messed.
You curse and swear..........

For what?
I believe in one motto in life.

DONT MAKE YOUR PROBLEM MY PROBLEM

If he puts a fridge in that environment, then he must expect the parts to be replaced.

aeb200
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
i use spray 9 degreaser (from Arco wholesalers) get in big 20L bottle and dilute (for an indian) or use neat (for fish and chips or chinese). I use my trusty fincomb to get right in there- if condenser is really blocked would recommend changing fan motor you don't want a call back a day after cleaning it (like I did last week)

spray 9 is also good at getting yellow tobacco stains off split units in working mens clubs (filters also come up a treat if you soak in spray9)
cheers aeb200

djbe
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Good call Abe.:)

JimmyMurphy
10-06-2006, 12:52 AM
If its that bad you should check the exhaust fan and make sure its working properly... just a thought