PDA

View Full Version : Home-brew Miele fridge rewire

FishHo
23-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Hi All

So I picket up a dysfunctional 6ft freestanding Miele fridge for my home brew kegs. It all works except it always chills down to -2 deg C. Sometimes the internal lights flash and the fan motor pulses on and off and its behaviour was a bit bizarre. I knew this when buying it. What do you want for $ 50 !! It looks very similar to this. https://www.miele.com.au/domestic/refrigeration-and-wine-conditioning-units-2497.htm?mat=09017230&name=K_12820_SD_edt/cs
But its and older K8952 SD - ED1
So I have disconnected the logic board and now run the compressor direct from an external STC-1000 temperature controller.
It all good so far. I've lost the internal lights, I can live with that but I'm uncertain what to do with the internal fan.
So this fridge has no freezer unit , it doesn't have a defrost function either. It's just a cold plate which is three quarters the internal height of the fridge. The thermistor appears to be bonded into the cold plate so I gave up thinking about replacing it.

I can rewire it so the internal fan comes on with the compressor (which would be easy) or should it have an independent timer , 10 mins on 50 off sort of thing.

Thanks

Tayters
23-12-2017, 08:27 AM
I'd run it on test with a thermometer inside and see how the temp goes.
Our Miele fridge has a 'turbo fan' that you can turn on or off bit it's just a sales gimmick designed to spread the air and get a more even temperature inside.

nike123
24-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Leave fan to work all time and compressor on thermostat demand. If you are keeping it at 3°C or more, you don't need defrost with fan switched ON full time.

FishHo
26-12-2017, 01:08 AM
Thanks. I'll set up some glasses of water from top to bottom and measure the temperatures. See what the swing is.