PDA

View Full Version : Eathanol As a flushing Agent

Mastercool
05-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Hello again,

My name is Errol and live at the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. As we are unable to obtain the normal "Flushing Liquids" e g 141a, is it possible to use Ethanol as a flushing agent?

Perhaps, advice could be given on other alternatives that could be used.

Many thanks

Errol.

afeef
05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
yes ....it can be done, but it is expensive for flushing the whole system ,
it is used to clean the expansion valve only
once i use benzine to flush the system, after that i blow it with air for 2 hours

Mastercool
05-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your reply. It looks as thoughI will have to use Ethanol to flush the whole system, as it is about the cheapest agent available.I guess that I shall have to give the system a very long vacuume !!!

Errol

The MG Pony
05-06-2006, 10:28 AM
what about Methanole? it is a water removing alcahole and is a good oil solvant.

NoNickName
05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
yes ....it can be done, but it is expensive for flushing the whole system ,
it is used to clean the expansion valve only
once i use benzine to flush the system, after that i blow it with air for 2 hours

Come on. Venting benzene in open atmosphere?
Then the bureaucrats in Brussels break my balls for few grams/yr of ODP HFC leaking...

o tempora o mores (it's latin)

afeef
05-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Come on. Venting benzene in open atmosphere?
Then the bureaucrats in Brussels break my balls for few grams/yr of ODP HFC leaking...

o tempora o mores (it's latin)

here is no regulation for enviromental protection
one day we will be like your country
regards

Brian_UK
05-06-2006, 08:29 PM
We're not even allowed benzine in our petrol !!!!

The MG Pony
05-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Any Way what about the Methanol idea? will that work as Methanol is in abundance here

afeef
06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Any Way what about the Methanol idea? will that work as Methanol is in abundance here
no dear,,,they are different in composition,
methanol : is antiseptic agent
eathanol : flushing agent
dont mix between the two
regards
afeef

The MG Pony
06-06-2006, 08:09 AM
WTF? Oh boy you have them horrendously mixed up

Methanol is deadly toxic it is dangerous to handle, it is used in cooling systems as an anti-freezing agent, and in gas systems as a dehydrating agent and to prevent gelling of Diesel, and it too can be used as a cleaning agent how ever very hazardous due to its toxicity. How ever due to its dehydrating nature it makes more sense as a flushing agent providing there are no exposed rubbers, if so soak a spare piece in it over night to check for damage, or physical alteration to its properties.

Ethanol is a disinfecting agent a drinking agent, degreasing agent (Generally any thing, I particularly enjoy the drinking side of it in white wines.), how ever it too can be used as an anti-freezing agent, but not as faverable as Methanol.

Methanol is much more apt for the job, my only worry was it may harm the Varnish of the wire, it will dissolve rubber how ever, but I doubt Hermetics really have rubber in them. when you get into Methanol and ethanol you get into my field hehe, it is used lots in chem. But applying it to refrigeration I was clueless but talked with others whom agree it is a way better substance to use due to its hygroscopic nature.

For the love of what ever you believe in please to not use methanol as a disinfectant, it is highly toxic, and will kill you if exposed to large amounts (Or very little if ingested)

The MG Pony
06-06-2006, 08:19 AM
a way to remember it is Ethanol is a grain Alcohol, it is safe to drink and handle and such, Methanol is a wood alcohol, and is dangerous to handle and deadly to drink, 5 people where killed recently due to accidental consumption.

Even the fumes from Methanol are very bad for you, in general it is a good idea to all ways avoid un needed exposure to it and its fumes.

afeef
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
oh ,,,i have been mixed up
methanol is racing feul
internet site
methanol.org

sorry

The MG Pony
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Ah racing fuell, forgot about that usage, I think it will make an ideal flushing agent as it removes moisture, I'm going to get some and test it on a scrap compressor.

Mastercool
06-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Many thanks for all the replies, it has been most informative. However, I did decide to use Ethanol and frankly I will never use it again. The system that I was servicing is the dirtiest one that I have ever seen. Hence I had to use a lot of the chemical. The first problem that I have yet to over come. is how am I going to get all the Ethanol out of the system. The boiling point of this substance is 79c. I think that I shall have to vacuume for +/- 24 hours. The other problem encountered is that the old (Mineral) oil remains in suspension. So I am not to sure as to just how clean the system is. By the way I cant get any Methanol and as I am working in a fresh vegatable holding area, Methanol could be very dangerous.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Errol

wambat
06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
This is a suggestion for the future:

Lawler is director of Product Management for Nu-Calgon. For more information, contact the company at 2008 Altom Court, St. Louis, MO 63146; 314-469-7000; 800-554-5499.

One Possible Flushing Agent
Formulated by the same chemists who produced the original R-11, Rx11-flush was created to offer the benefits of R-11 without the environmental concerns.

It is considered ozone-safe, non-toxic, nonflammable, and compatible with most materials in a refrigeration system. The cleaner itself is packaged in a pressurized container, designed to purge a moderately contaminated 5- to 7-ton air conditioning or refrigeration system.

According to the manufacturer, it dries quickly, has a low boiling point, has no aroma, and will not attack components.

Its low boiling point enhances complete evaporation. It can be used for new system cleaning or retrofits. The solvent is approved as part of the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) Significant New Alternatives Program (SNAP).