PDA

View Full Version : Tiff 5000 leak detector

davidchesson
04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi all - just joined. I worked as a Domestic Appliance Service Engineer about 20 years ago in the days of R12, but have since re-trained and now work as a school teacher. I have only had a car with air conditioning for about the last four years and a few weeks ago the a/c stopped working. I can't bear to get my cars looked at by others so there was only one thing to do and that was kit myself out as cheaply as possible and repair it myself. Got the gauges at low cost (Chinese) and a second hand vac pump for free and have just bought a Tiff 5000 leak detector from a seller on ebay who advertised it as fully working. This afternoon I got down to checking it all out but the leak detector found nothing even though I knew from the gauges that I had a leak. I actually soon found the leak in a pipe that had corroded where it touched some sound deadening that had probably harboured water. Even then the unit would not detect the refrigerant (R134a). My question then, at long last, is have I been sold a duff unit or is it only suitable for R12 which would have still been the refrigerant in use at the time of its manufacture?
Thanks, David

Brian_UK
04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome David,

It is possible that you have been sold a pup, try the sniffer directly on a can of R134a. It may not sense that gas or the detector head needs replacing.

You can always fall back on the old favourite, soapy water if all else fails.

Be aware that the new oils for R134a absorb moisture very quickly. During any repairs cover any open pipe ends until the joints are remade. Also get a new filter/drier and replace that as the last thnig you do before pressure testing and evacuating.

Peter_1
04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
You can't find a R134a leak with a TIFF 5000.
Try once with R22, it will work.
I still have 2 of those in the shelves somewhere but they became useless.
You need a newer model which can search for R134a.

davidchesson
05-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks Brian and Peter, I was rather thinking I had bought the thing in too much of a hurry!

frank
05-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks Brian and Peter, I was rather thinking I had bought the thing in too much of a hurry!
Better resell it then on Ebay - quick! :D

davidchesson
05-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Strange you should suggest that ..... !!

RickSter
06-11-2006, 05:26 AM
There are TIF XU1's on Ebay for pretty cheap brand new that are an excellent detector. TIF give a lifetime warranty with this one and it detects pretty much anything. They will ship worldwide.
Hope this helps.