PDA

View Full Version : RC group Recips on R22 with RL68H

Chris Burton
31-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I am currently working on a project that has RC group semi recips running on R22 with RL 68H oil. I am concerned about how readiy the refrigerant mixes with the oil even at a stable 6k suction superheat. I am considering retrofitting the oil back to mineral, does anybody have any suggestions?

NoNickName
31-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Emkarate RL 68H is a 68cSt viscosity POE oil, which is no good for recips.
I would suggest turn it to a 32cSt RL 32H, which is more the standard, or even dare down to RL 22H. Or you can try increase the suction temperature, if you can.

Chris Burton
01-06-2006, 05:40 AM
thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how it goes

DeB
03-06-2006, 03:58 AM
I experienced some compressor problems a few years ago running compressors on R22 with POE oil. The compressors were prematurely wearing due to oil dilution . We tried some compressors on PAO oil due to its low miscibility with refrigerant and also due to its ability to be used on both HCFC and HFC refrigerants thus allowing for an easier change of refrigerant in the future. However, if the system is not going to be changed why not use mineral oil? Its proven, it works and its much cheaper than POE or PAO oils.There is some good information on R22 and oil in semi hermetic compressors on the Frascold website.

afeef
03-06-2006, 05:50 AM
hi
take a look on these sites :
www.refrigerants.com

www.sunoco.co.jp

i beleive it can help with your problem
thanks
afeef

Chris Burton
03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, i have changed the oil to mobil artic 300 which is an iso 68 mineral oil. One of the problems we was having was loss of oil level from crankcase after extended running fully loaded, the hydraulic unloaders are suspected of leaking as the oil level returns at part load. I think the manufacturer overcomes this by swapping compressor duty. It's one of those intresting jobs that gets you thinking, thanks for all your help & i'll post the results Chris