PDA

View Full Version : A easy/difficult question?

sagittarius
26-05-2006, 06:48 AM
I have a question now,easy?difficult?
What is the standard of refrigerants?That is what is the requirements for the R290,R1270,r744 etc. Such as purity,concertration?

I don't find the industrial standards!

rgds

sagittarius:confused:

US Iceman
26-05-2006, 02:42 PM
There is an orginization here in the US (ARI) that has some standards on refrigerant purity that may answer some of your questions.

The title to the standard is ARI-700.

Another standard that may help is ASHRAE-34.

Johnny Rod
26-05-2006, 03:58 PM
ASHRAE assign the numbers. It's up to individual countries to come up with their own quality standards, but ARI is the de facto industry standard. When the Europeans eventually get their thumbs out and issue the ISO standard it's going to look pretty familiar.

ARI only deal with purity of fluorocarbons. Natural refrigerants (those you list), as far as I know, don't have anything equivalent - something that's making my life difficult at the moment! We are trying to match our specs to customer requirements.

sagittarius
27-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Yes ,ARI-700 "SPECIFICATIONS FOR FLUOROCARBON REFRIGERANTS".I have the Chinese equivalent . Maybe said as Johnny Rod,we should decides them ourselves for customer requirements, shouldn't we?
Anyway thanks a lot.
Who has the news of them(refrigerant criteria ) tell me pls.

sagittarius
31-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Today, I learned the hydrocarbon refrigerants purity is 98%~99.5% as stated from the OORG.(ozone operations resource group).This may be referenced during designing?

US Iceman
31-05-2006, 03:29 PM
The purity...This may be referenced during designing?

That would be my recommendation. When dealing with other gases I feel it is important to inform the client of the requirements.

If you design the system using the assumption that pure propane will be used, what happens when the client uses a mixture of gases?

If the propane has ethylene, ethane, or methane in it the system operation can be changed.

Therefore, if you tell them to you use 99% propane as the refrigerant the problems will be less. If the client uses something else after you told him what to use, it's his problem.

Johnny Rod
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
In terms of hydrocarbon purity you should be looking for a high grade as small amounts of other hydrocarbons alter the vapour pressure - see if you can get a vapour pressure spec (range) from the supplier. In terms of trace contaminants, this is usually where the propane grade is important for refrigerants. Moisture, ammonia (trace, if any), sulphur (various forms), and non-condensables are the main ones to be concerned about.

Not seen the OORG, will check it out, thanks.