PDA

View Full Version : need energy consumption data

gokhan
24-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi everybody,
I am planning a cold-storage room(about 30 m2) to cool 10thousands of jars of jam from 70C to 25C in 60 minutes. I have calculated the total heat removal as 70.52 kW. Can you give an average electricity consumption of a typical cooler to provide this heat removal?

There will also be fans to blow air at 20m/s. But i can calculate that seperately.

Thanks...

NoNickName
24-05-2006, 10:53 PM
70kW would require approx 20.000 m3/h, that is 200 volumes per hour. Such blowers would consume 2 to 3 kW for an average blower with axial fans.
The power consumption for the chiller or condensing unit depends on the selected evaporating temperatures, I would say around 8-12°C, which would result to a COP of around 4.
As such, the power consumption for the compressor will be approx 18-19kW.
Less if a chiller is used.

US Iceman
25-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Hello gokhan,

Welcome to the RE website.

I have some comments about your question below.

Can you give an average electricity consumption of a typical cooler to provide this heat removal?

This is an open-ended question. The kW use will be determined by the operating temperatures of the refrigeration system. This in turn is based on the evaporating temperature you use for the cooling process.

The refrigeration system will use more energy if the evaporating temperature is 5C, rather than 20C. You did not mention how low the final temperature would be.

At the same time, if you use air-cooled condensing the energy cost and use will increase. If a water cooled condenser is used, the energy use will be reduced.

10,000 jars is a lot of jam!