PDA

View Full Version : Electrolux ECS2070 alarm problem

Richard English
31-07-2017, 12:02 PM
My freezer is 12 years old and just recently the over-temperature alarm starts sounding and won't stop. Turning the freezer off at the mains silences the alarm for some hours but then it starts sounding again. Pressing the reset button silences the alarm but then the yellow and red warning lights keep flashing together and alternately with the green light. The advertised function of the reset button - starting and stopping the quick freeze - does not appear to work once it goes into this "flashing" mode.

The freezer is otherwise working perfectly and the contents are kept frozen.

If I reset the freezer by turning it off at the mains, then the over-temperature alarm works as it should work - ie it sounds after the lid has been left open for a few minutes and stops sounding when it's closed. But once the freezer has been laft for a few hours (the actual period varies) then the probloem as described occurs.

Is this a simply fault to fix or is it better simply to ignore the flashing lights and carry on using the freezer?

PaulZ
01-08-2017, 12:44 AM
Hi Richard
The high temp alarm is probably doing what it's designed to do. You say the contents are frozen but what is the temp in the freezer, generally a high temp alarm would be set at about -10 and the contents will still be frozen but not cold enough. There could be several reasons, not defrosting properly - defrost heater has failed, compressor inefficient, small leak, I suggest you get someone to look at it.
Regards
Paul

Richard English
01-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Hi Richard
The high temp alarm is probably doing what it's designed to do. You say the contents are frozen but what is the temp in the freezer, generally a high temp alarm would be set at about -10 and the contents will still be frozen but not cold enough. There could be several reasons, not defrosting properly - defrost heater has failed, compressor inefficient, small leak, I suggest you get someone to look at it.
Regards
Paul
Many thanks, Paul.

I am reasonably sure that the freezer is working properly. When the alarm sounds it does so randomly and won't stop unless I press the reset button or turn it off at the mains. If I turn it off and on again at the mains then it works perfectly for hours, with the alarm sounding if the lid is left open for too long and stopping when the lid is closed - which is what it is supposed to do.

I am pretty sure that the temperature is still cold enough (actually I must check with a thermometer) and I am convinced it's a fault with the alarm system.

I have tried several sources (inclduing Electrolux) to get further help but nobody seems to know what the problem is and I would be charged probaly £70 for someone just to look at the machine. As I could buy a new one for less that £200 it's probably not worth spending too much on it.