PDA

View Full Version : Smoke machine for leak detection?

Mark608609
13-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Is there a system safe, effective way to use a smoke machine for leak detection on a large refrigeration system?

Grizzly
13-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Hi Mark.
I don't know what you are thinking.
But most refrigeration systems are in the wrong environment to even consider using smoke!!!
Surely smoke is a form of vapour, which would have a moisture content.
Which is a big no.no.
Also most systems have leak detection or there could even be a fire detection system in the same area!

Years ago there were halide torches which had a naked flame which turned green / Purple dependant upon the
volume of CFC refrigerant present.
Fire Marshals would have nightmares about using them nowadays.

Really I question your refrigeration Knowledge on this topic?

Grizzly

RANGER1
14-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Is there a system safe, effective way to use a smoke machine for leak detection on a large refrigeration system?

It's called a Sulfur stick, very useful.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Sulfur-Sticks-Ammonia-Leak-Detectors-100-in-Water-Tight-Tube-Sulphur-Tapers-/231688261302

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvdH7TOtRs (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvdH7TOtRs)

Grizzly
14-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Hi Ranger.
You are absolutely correct they are very useful, and I carry them in my tool kit.
However I would hardly call them a Machine!
Also I have actually managed to set off a sites fire alarm and evacuate a factory, using a sulphur stick.

I was given permission to use one to identify the actual source of a small leak, within the external plant room.
Somehow the resultant smoke managed to carry across the plantroom and set the fire alarm off.
Fortunately the company bosses saw the funny side when I explained "That I had dome them a favour by testing the site staffs Fire Alarm response".
Which was Good!
I still use them but have been much more cautious since!
And of course they only work on Ammonia Systems.
Unless I am missing something?
Grizzly

RANGER1
14-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Hi Ranger.
You are absolutely correct they are very useful, and I carry them in my tool kit.
However I would hardly call them a Machine!
Also I have actually managed to set off a sites fire alarm and evacuate a factory, using a sulphur stick.

I was given permission to use one to identify the actual source of a small leak, within the external plant room.
Somehow the resultant smoke managed to carry across the plantroom and set the fire alarm off.
Fortunately the company bosses saw the funny side when I explained "That I had dome them a favour by testing the site staffs Fire Alarm response".
Which was Good!
I still use them but have been much more cautious since!
And of course they only work on Ammonia Systems.
Unless I am missing something?
Grizzly

I figured there is no smoke "machine" that Mark could use & agree you have to isolate smoke alarms.
If there was a smoke machine would have to isolate anyway.
I find sulfur sticks the best for finding hard to find leaks & would recommend them as a normal tool to use.
Litmus paper ok, nose good, clean shaven & cut on hand pretty good as well.