PDA

View Full Version : corrosion

Temprite
22-05-2006, 02:25 PM
G'day all.

I live on a coastal area of southern Australia. We install and service a lot of wall mount a/c units of varying brands.

What I have noticed is a tendency for some of the outdoor units in close proximity of the ocean to show signs of corrosion after a few years.

Was wondering if any other members have had similar problems and what they might have done to remedy the situation.

I have already had the suggestion of using a lanolin spray for treating the units and one particular unit that we did repair we ended up using fish oil to treat it.

Any comments would be appreciated.:)

NoNickName
22-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Coils can be supplied with various surface treatments, like blygold or epoxy paint, able to withstand weather and ambient aggression at various levels of protection.

US Iceman
22-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Temprite,

Here is a link that might provide some useful information.

http://www.electrofin.com/

Admittedly, this is a US company but I thought it might provide some ideas on an alternative you might be able to source within Australia.

Peter_1
22-05-2006, 06:37 PM
We live also very near the sea and we spray a zinc spray througfh the fins (we use teh spray from Zinga which is more then 99% zinc)
The heat transfer isn't affected and the zinc will sacrifice itself when corroding.

BESC5240
23-05-2006, 11:00 AM
We live also very near the sea and we spray a zinc spray througfh the fins (we use teh spray from Zinga which is more then 99% zinc)
The heat transfer isn't affected and the zinc will sacrifice itself when corroding.
I just had a look at their website www.zinga.be . Does the mermaid come with the spray?

Temprite
23-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The coils have been ok since most reputable manufacturers treat them anyway.

Problem is the casing and more so the feet and base.

Have some where the feet have nearly collapsed after about 5 years.

US Iceman
23-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Here is a link for cold galvanizing spray

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/pdfs/t_guide_spray_application.pdf

The mermaid is quite pretty. Why is she hiding in every picture?

Peter_1
23-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I just had a look at their website www.zinga.be . Does the mermaid come with the spray?
Bescie, in every 100 boxes, you'll find one.
It's only a matter of picking the right one.

Peter_1
23-05-2006, 07:17 PM
The mermaid is quite pretty. Why is she hiding in every picture?
That's because we're very shy people USIceman. :p

andre_fridge
30-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Temprite
I got first hand experience of the rust and the corrosion that it causes, I use a product called TECTYL, mostly used in the automotive industry to treat the underside of vehicles as a sealant, goes on and sticks like bubblegum to a monkeys backside, last about 2 years in the sun if sprayed nice and thick, speak to your panelbeater about what they use, its oil based just runnier than tar, but same principal

Temprite
30-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks Andre.

Abby Normal
17-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Have a severe salt corrosion problem here, I must have seen almost every coating out there, herestite , bronzglo, adsil, electrofin, sea coat etc.

What I found works best is to avoid the dissimilar metals in the first place and therefore not worry about the electrolytes.

The all aluminum spine fin coils (old GE design) currently used by Trane and American Standard will outlast any copper tube aluminum fin coil with a coating.

Washing an untreated coil on a regular basis extends coil life.

nevgee
19-06-2006, 01:54 AM
FISH OIL? who's pullin who's donga!