PDA

View Full Version : Any body got any tools lying around?

cold as ice
21-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi
If anybody has any installation tools suitable for R410
please give me a shout.
Particulary looking for pipe flaring kit, swaging kit, vac pump, recovery machine and scales
thanks.

frank
21-05-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.srw.co.uk

chillin out
21-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Particulary looking for pipe flaring kit, swaging kit, vac pump, recovery machine and scales
Try E-Bay.... I know someone that got a flareing kit from there for cheap (new).

Chillin:) :)

Temprite
22-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi
please give me a shout.
thanks.

I was told by told at a training session by one of the larger manufacturers of aircon that you could use your existing flare block but you had to allow more pipe to protrude so that a larger flare face was achieved.

Can anyone else confirm this?

We were also told existing vac pumps could be used if a solenoid was fitted so that if power was removed from the pump the solenoid would close eliminating the chance of oil entering the system via the vac pump.

Regards.

Chris Bexon
22-05-2006, 06:53 PM
you will find you need new service manifold, and nitrogen gauge as test pressure for R410A systems is 42.5 bar (Mitsi) or 38bar (Daikin). Do not miss out on testing. Do not cut costs as cheap equipment could cost bad injury or worse when working at these pressures.

Regards

Chris

frank
22-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I was told by told at a training session by one of the larger manufacturers of aircon that you could use your existing flare block but you had to allow more pipe to protrude so that a larger flare face was achieved.

I find that hard to believe. if you make the flare too large it won't fit inside the flare nut :confused:

US Iceman
22-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Frank, It might make sense if it is intended for a double flare, but... if this was meant for a single flare I'm not sure I understand how how it would fit either.

Temprite
23-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I find that hard to believe. if you make the flare too large it won't fit inside the flare nut :confused:

G'day Frank.

I'm pretty sure that I would know by now if I had made a flare too large.

I may be mistaken with the details but they definetely said that that we could use our existing flare blocks if we chose to do so.

Was wondering if anyone else here uses their existing blocks

Be honest...:)

There are still a lot of R22 units being installed in Australia.

Temprite
23-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Just dug some information up from a service manual for use of HFC refrigerants R407C, R410A

This is a quote straight from the manual.

"Conventional flaring tools can be used for HFC's if the work process is changed.
(Change of work process)
Previously, a pipe extension margin of 0 to 0.5 mm was provided for flaring. For 410A air conditioners, perform pipe flaring with a pipe extension margin of 1.0 to 1.5 mm. (for clutch type only)
Jigs for pipe extension margin adjustment are available."

Ireland
23-05-2006, 06:00 PM
We started using the old flaring block out of necessity.

The wholesalers were sold out of the new ones when we looked for them.

We've been using them for about 18 months now with 410 and have had no problems at all.

Just make good flares and you'll be fine.

Think back to your apprentice days "don't over-tighten the punch when flaring as the pipe will need to be able to compensate for the imperfections in the fitting you are connecting to" or words to that effect.

And "make sure the edges of the flare can touch off the threads on the inside of the flare nut".

Also we use "leak lock" or similar.

Has always worked for us.

cold as ice
23-05-2006, 06:41 PM
thanks for the comments guys- much appreciated!

r600a-bang
01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi
please give me a shout.
thanks.

Hi, i know they are not tools as such but i still have a 10kg bag of brazing rods and some silver soldier rods that i want to get rid of. im thinking of using ebay but am unsure as they cost a fortune and dont want them to go for pennys:confused:

mick2me
11-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Just make good flares and you'll be fine.

And "make sure the edges of the flare can touch off the threads on the inside of the flare nut".

Some images would be good here>

r600a-bang
12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi
please give me a shout.
thanks.

yes i have, can you IM me?

Toolman
17-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Can anyone else confirm this?

We were also told existing vac pumps could be used if a solenoid was fitted so that if power was removed from the pump the solenoid would close eliminating the chance of oil entering the system via the vac pump.

Regards.

Hey Temprite we meet again or should I call U Glycol man now ? , I guess there are Temprites are still chugging away in the older pubs somewhere . Come to think of it we are all chugging away in this industry . Now its heating up in OZ , everybody wants to be nice to the fridgy .

Re the 410 questions - Yes I use the same flaring tools I always did but its a good quality Robinair sliding block type. As far as soleniod on vac pumps , havent heard that one . Lets face it how many systems are you going to vac overnight that run on R410 , not too many so just vac it out while you have a breather or several smokes . Many units come with " bleed the pipes " instructions so to vac out is like the holy grail of installation compared to home handyman installer :D

Ireland
18-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Some images would be good here>

I'll eventually figure out how to post pictures.

I'll probably have forgotten about this post by then, though. :rolleyes:

Toolman
18-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Irish click on the " POST REPLY" button instead of writing in the Quick Reply box. You will see there are more icons there just click on the one with the paperclip and select your pics to post. You need to make them small pics , cant remember the size it will tell you somewhere .

Toolman
18-10-2006, 02:17 PM
like this one :D this is the best tool I have lying around hehe

Ireland
19-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll give it a try.

But probably not today....

Ireland
19-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I suppose I managed to do the Avatar so I should be able to sort the thumbnails as well.

:) :)

Toolman
20-10-2006, 07:26 AM
and That Is A Nice Avatar Image