PDA

View Full Version : Danfoss EXD316 Controller

woody100
25-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I am working on a Climaveneta Chiller which has an IOM Danfoss EXD 316 Controller (minus display) controlling a Sporlan SEi Valve (4 wire) . My problem is that the valve doesn't appear to be controlling as expected. I can drive the valve open and closed manually via a purpose made bit of kit from Sporlan, but when its connected to the EXD 316 it struggles. The contacts open and close from the Eliwell controller giving stop/start command but the valve doesn't open sufficiently leaving us with high superheats. Sometimes its so bad that the discharge temperature increases rapidly, so much so i've now fitted a discharge temperature stat to protect the compressor. There is no display on the EXD 316 so I'm not sure what's going on or what superheat it's looking for. I did get the EKA 164A to try and look but I can't get it to work it just displays three dashes ---. I've checked the wiring and resistor to the unit, powered it off and on as recommended by Danfoss, but still nothing.The 316 and the valve are within 5m of each other.

Any Ideas?

chemi-cool
25-06-2017, 02:46 PM
From my experience, US products work better with US controls.

The last Sporlan ESi valve I installed is controlled by a Carel independent unit.
We had a lot of problems connecting it to Pco5 so we gave it its own controller. commands are from the Pco5.

woody100
25-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the Carel and Dixel drivers for the same job but not sure which one would be best suited.

Glenn Moore
25-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Hi Woody
The EKA 164A won't work on this controller as the 164A is a Modbus only comm tool and the EXD talks Canbus. The EKA 164A will talk with the EKD 316 which has Modbus comms.
The EXD version is for OEMs which use the Canbus comms protocol as a preference. Each manufacturer has their own software demands and hence component manufacturers make specific types for what each manufacturer demands.
The EKD 316 and the EXD 316 are identical apart from comms protocol they use. In the U.K. The EKD version is the norm as anyone can fit and use the EKA setting display to set up and monitor the controller. These controllers can run as a stand alone controller after being programmed or can act as an interface module run by signal from an external plc or such depending on the chiller manufacturer.
Danfoss make at range of pack and chiller controllers called MCX which also talks Canbus which can talk to the EXD controller.
This doesn't help you much but the easiest solution for you is to fit the EKD controller version and set it with the EKA setting module ,you can still use the on/ off go signal but the superheat control will be what you set in the controller. I can help you set the EKD version no problem but getting into the EXD version will need Some sort of Canbus comms

woody100
25-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Thanks Glenn,

If we went the EKD route what information would you need form the Sporlan valve to set the EKD up? Also, I read one of your posts from a couple of years ago that mentions an AKA filter for these unit. Do you think it would help in this case, or does that only help when the wiring is more than 5m long?
My main problem is that some days the controller appears to work fine then other days it either pumps down on start up or only opens partially.

Regards

Woody

Glenn Moore
25-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Hi Woody
I would need the model of the Sporlan valve or how many steps it has, as you need this info to put into the EKD settings for it to calibrate. Regards the AKA filter once the info between the control and valve has been corrupted it doesn't normally correct itself and normally the valve doesn't open properly although the controller thinks it has . Invertors speed controlling the condenser fans or speed controlling the compressor are the normal culprits or large power cables too close to the motor cables .make sure there is no multi core cables to the stepper motor and the motor cable is on its own away from power cables as that can corrupt the signal..best regards

woody100
29-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Hello Glenn,

The Valve is a Sporlan SERI-JS-10'-S and the body has a sticker saying 2500 steps (even though their website says 3500)

Glenn Moore
30-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Hi Woody
I checked the valve and the catalogue confirmed that it has 2500 steps. I'll post a list of settings for you for the EKD shortly br Glenn

woody100
03-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks Glenn, much appreciated.

Regards

Woody

Glenn Moore
03-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Hi Woody
Here's your new EKD settings
Parameters not mentioned leave at factory settings

r12 set to off
no3 set to 5
no4 set to 3
no9 set to 5 *
n10 set to 8 *
n21 set to 1
n22 set to 3
n37 set to 250
n38 set to 200
o20 set to minimum pressure transmitter range (Danfoss normally -1Bar)
021 set to maximum pressure transmitter range (Danfoss normally 12 Bar)
030 set to ? set to relevant refrigerant no in parameter list
r12 set to 1
your ready to run once contact 20-21 is made via your Eliwell

Any problems call me Glenn

Grizzly
03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Hi. Glenn.
I tried to give you some rep points for your continued valuable support.

Woody you click on the star at the bottom of the post.
That awards a star for good deeds done.

If anyone else is happy with a post then that is one way of saying so!
Grizzly

Glenn Moore
03-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Hi Grizzly
thoughts appreciated
Glenn

woody100
03-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Glenn

Regards

Woody

Glenn Moore
07-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Hi woody
Can do what you asked please send contact details your mailbox is blocked for replies for some reason
Glenn

dalechamberlain
29-08-2017, 03:32 AM
how do I start a forum with some questions about a ranco vf3 thermostat?

Glenn Moore
29-08-2017, 05:50 AM
What's the question ?

M.Ansari
15-09-2017, 12:20 PM
What's the question ?

Hi
I am working with a EXD316. When I switch the 20_21 connections the drive doesn't work. In the menu when I change the value of the internal main switch to 1. It shortly changes back to 0, what is the problem.
Thanks

FaultCode
15-09-2017, 06:03 PM
how do I start a forum with some questions about a ranco vf3 thermostat?
Choose a forum section from the main screen, then click on 'post new thread'.

FaultCode
15-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I don't know this model of control valve but would a failing/failed pressure/superheat sensor also cause problems?

Glenn Moore
15-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Hi M Ansari
When the compressor starts the digital contact "di" on terminals 20-21 are made and the stepper expansion valve starts to regulate, when the compressor stops, this contact is broken and the stepper valve drives itself to a fully closed position to prevent liquid injection during the off cycle.
In the menu, setting the main switch to 1 allows the control to function under automatic control in conjunction with the "di" contact opening and closing.
The main switch set to 1 and the di made the controller is regulating
The main switch set to 0 and the di made the controller is stopped
The main switch set to 1 and the di open the controller is stopped
The main switch set to -1 the controller is in manual control and you can force the valve to open ,close or modulate using the manual menu settings
If the main switch setting goes from 1 to 0 by itself is normally that th important settings in the menu have not been set correctly i.e. The refrigerant type,the valve type, the amount of steps for the type of valve fitted to to
If any of these settings are wrong they could cause too much liquid to be injected and cause damage to the compressor