PDA

View Full Version : Frigidair Ice Machine R-12 40 Oz :0

The MG Pony
19-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey I was just looking at a friends Ice machine and after looking at it I've found thats its low on refrigerant (Still enough in there to get cold but not to make Ice)

So what I'm thinking is to top it up with R-134a as there is enough R-12 to keep the oil flowing, then eventualy totaly over hual it to use r-134a all out then send in the old mix for disposal.

Does this sound good?

jamcool
19-05-2006, 06:56 PM
NO, why would you want to top up a R12 with 134a? just do a change over:mad:

The MG Pony
19-05-2006, 11:17 PM
becuase the guy just wants it patched an running and doesn't want much ells don with it. I all ready told him that this IS the best option to do a total change over, but he wants it don fast sort of deal, Now logic says that to top it off with R-134a will work just fine. Then when he decides whether he will keep the machine or not do the total retrofit.

IE He is thinking of replacing it and just wants to get a fiew more months out of it till he decides, once he decides He'll invest in doing it all out.

So the question is will this work and yeild acceptable resualts? and am I missing any more importand underlying issues?

Andy T
19-05-2006, 11:51 PM
R134a is not a retofit replacent for R12 because of the oil in the comp.R49 is a retrofit gas.You have found the unit short of gas.There must be a leak.You must repair the leak before putting any gas in.Unless it is something loose then you will have to reclaim the gas to repair the leak,you might as well vac then recharge(do the job properly).By just topping up to save him money looses you money.Not your problem.He will have to buy new now or you do the proper job now.If you want to do him a favour tell him you will try to locate the leak for free.If you can't find it he will have to scrap it.If you find it you will be more confident to charge him for a proper retofit and he won't have to buy a new one.

Andy T
19-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I have Retro fitted many R12 systems with R49 it works fine.

The MG Pony
20-05-2006, 12:01 AM
I all ready found and fixed the leak, it was a vibration loosend bolt on the filter dryer and the system still has a good amount of refrigerant in it, just not enough to run at full capacity. Where can I get more info on R-49?

And since there is so much origional refrigerant oil flow wont be a problem. Pluse I'm confused as I've all ways been told that R-134a was to be used to replace R-12 :confused:

Andy T
20-05-2006, 08:26 AM
R 134a is a replacement for R12 in long term in a new system as it has the correct oil (synthetic ester oil)when suplied,but the oil(mineral) in the old R12 system is not compatable with R134a.Waxing of the oil is reported and the oil will not mix with the R134a probably not a problem on a small system. R49 is compatible with both oils synthetic and mineral so you don't have to change the oil.

Peter_1
20-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I have Retro fitted many R12 systems with R49 it works fine.
R49 will be a drop-in for R12 but is something completly different then R134a.

Go ahead with topping of with R134a, you will wish you never had doen it.
First, it's a capillary system, it will block.
Second, what about the mineral oil in the system which you will mix with a refrigerant for synthetic.

You need to refill it with a drop-in, (we use r401a)

The MG Pony
20-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Ok thank you after doing some more research after you guys mentioned R-49 I found info about R-134a causing the oil to "Crystallize" Its a TXV :) But still if it will be bad for the machine I would be failing my purpose in a gross degree.

oil will not mix with the R134a probably not a problem on a small system. R49
Thats why I mentioned it having the R-12 as it would be a binary mix and the R-12 would carry the oil, who ever this is useless if the R-134a Will alter the oil its self.

This is why I asked you, I did look into it and I didn't see all the issues and rather then going ahead I thought I had better ask and now that you guys explained it I decided it was a bad Idea, Thank you.

Where can I get more info on R-49?

The MG Pony
20-05-2006, 07:42 PM
What about the care 12 products? they are a Propane IsoButane mix aren't they?