PDA

View Full Version : F-Gas and HC Recovery

JayeJaye
15-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Hey guys,

So the time has come where I have had a call out to repair a bottle cooler that is running on R600a. I was wondering if my F-Gas qualification covered me for this? I remember we went through them being flammable and the safe handling, however as it's pretty new, I didn't know if it is still covered.

I currently use an XTR-Pro Recovery system, however it says on the spec "Recovers most refrigerants", I'm guessing it's not including R600a?

Cheers
Jaye

joe-ice
15-05-2017, 11:28 PM
I dont think fgas has anything to do with halocarbons as its mainly directed at hfcs. But when i started working with hc gases i had to do 2 safe handling courses , one was to be allowed work on them inside a supermarket chain and the other was to be allowed do warranty work for a manufacturer . As for recovery there are very few machines for this , the best bet is to empty it drag it outside and blow it off ,then flush it well with nitrogen before any brazing work. However i know one american manufacturer recommends doing short controlled bursts if you have to vent it off indoors and use of a fan in the distance to disperse it in the air. Good luck

Rob White
16-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Technically F-gas qualified would allow but an additional
HC course is required before some of the wholesalers will
sell the stuff to you.

Technically you can work on HC without qualifications because
it is a natural Refrigerant and is covered by the Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA).

But most perceived common opinion states that after the f-gas
course you do the HC course because a prerequisite of doing the
HC is you have the f-gas first.

Regards
Rob

JayeJaye
16-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Ah, cool. Cheers chaps!

Just as a follow up, I spoke to the chaps at Wolseleys today, and they confirmed the Javac XTR Pro is not suitable for recovery or charging of R600a. So that'll be getting sold on probably. They do one which does cover all current and past refrigerants, but I have a feeling it could be mortgage time :(

Thanks again
Jaye