PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to re-wire a T-Stat to use the heat pump outputs on a conventional AC?

Tron
13-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Hello,

I have a standard AC (non-heat pump) attached to a GoControl GC-TBZ48 thermostat. Controlling this thermostat is a HomeSeer home automation controller.

What I would like to do is make use of the advance settings in the thermostat to turn the FAN on as STAGE-1 (cooling & heating) and the compressor/heat strips on as the respective STAGE-2. My goal is to DELAY the turning on of the more costly compressor by circulating the air that may be at different temps throughout the house.

I would set the stage-1 ON temp deviation to 1* and stage-2 ON temp to 2*. Both stages would turn OFF at 0* cool/heat set point deviation.

With that being the goal, wiring becomes my question. I currently only have 4 wires with a 4-to-5 wire adapter installed to add power to my thermostat. I'm willing to pull wire, if needed.

My t-stat has connectors: Y2, Y/Y1, G, R/RC, C, R/RH, C, RH, W1, W2/[O/B]

I'm thinking of the following:
Y/Y1 (cooling) to Y2 (2nd stage cooling),
W/W1 (heating) to W2 (2nd stage heating),
connecting together G (FAN) to Y1 ([1st stage] cooling) & W1 (2nd stage heating),
Jumper (still) RC & RH.

Would the above wiring accomplish my goals?

Reference Manual: http://www.gocontrol.com/manuals/GC-TBZ48-Install.pdf

Thanks in advance.

al
13-05-2017, 09:40 PM
if you had an economiser then y1 would activate fresh air dampers, check before you modify if your indoor fan runs when stat is live, if so no need to jumper y1/w1 to run fan. if you only have one stage of heat/cool then your mod should work, if you have 2 stages then you will lose 50% of cooling/heating.

Tron
13-05-2017, 09:59 PM
My AC system has no physical economizer installed (30+ year old unit) but the t-stat supports one. I do only have 1 stage of heat and cool. Thank you for your very fast response!