PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone - returning prodigal son

desA
03-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone,

It has been ages since I last posted. I'd like to say "Hi", to former friends. This forum is one of the nicest I have ever participated in.

Receiving a birthday greeting woke me up. :)

Life has taken me on quite a journey, in the meantime. I have been very active in developing a new copper multiport tube, for brazed copper evaporators & condensers. Also developed brazed copper-aluminium hybrid technologies.

Best regards,
desA

chemi-cool
03-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Hey Des,
Good to see you again on RE.
How on earth do you braze aluminium to copper?

Josip
03-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Hi desA, :)

welcome back ... nice to see you here again ...

Of course ... we all waiting to tell us about new technologies you were busy with ...
never too late to learn something new ...

Best regards, Josip :)

desA
04-05-2017, 02:06 AM
Hi Chemi,

Thank you for saying "Hi". Hope all is well with you & family. :)

For high-performance brazed coils - whether aluminium, or copper, we use the same type of CAB furnace, with similar operating temperatures. In the early days of this type of brazing, we would even use an aluminium production furnace, adjust the settings, and pass trays of aluminium-friendly flux through afterwards, to move back to aluminium production.

With the brazing furnace system the same for both, what we are left with the technical challenges of the joining alloy between tube, fins, fittings.

The key to joining alloy selection, is to manage the galvanic charges, to protect the tube from corrosion in wet conditions.

desA
04-05-2017, 02:15 AM
Hi Josip,

Thank you for saying "Hi". It has been quite a few years.

I continued working on copper multiport tubes. At first it was with an extruded tube manufactured in South Africa. We managed to braze the copper tube to anneal-resistant fins. The main problems were scaling up production of the tube, at fair cost.

I have had the idea of making a composite copper multiport tube, for many years. I began final developments on this, around 6 months ago. The results are looking very promising.

The biggest question is how well copper-based coils will be accepted by the RHVAC community.

frank
04-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Hello Desa...nice to see you back. Hopefully for longer ?

desA
05-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Hi Frank,

Thank you for the greeting. Most certainly back for longer. :)

How's things going with you? Seem to remember your heading into retirement some years back.

frank
05-05-2017, 02:42 PM
3 more pay days my friend ...roll on August ;)

desA
06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Excellent news... :) :)