View Full Version : Flammability Assessment - can you help?

21-04-2017, 02:11 PM
We are designing a drinks chiller from component parts.

This includes a small refrigeration system to make a ice/water mixture.

The gas is around 75g of R600a.

Our customer wants formal approval via a test house to “EN60335-2-24 - Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety : Particular requirements for refrigerating appliances, ice-cream appliances and ice makers”

There is one part which is giving us difficulty, as test houses are not setup, to do some tests, which is where I hope you can help.

There is a section concerned with a simulated leak test, which requires equipment to determine the concentration of gas levels.

This is a one off test and requires injecting refrigerant into a product at points where leaks could occur and measuring the resulting gas levels. Which implies a level of training and equipment we do not possess.

Please can you review and see if you have the necessary equipment to undertake the test.

We are a while away from needing to undertake this test, but we need to have a solution in place for when the prototype is ready. This work is chargeable.

Please can you indicate if you are capable of undertaking this test, then we can review the standard in detail.

If not, please can you think of anyone who deals with R600a and would have the necessary equipment.

Peter Hicks
Tharsus Vision,
Birmayne House,
Cowley Rd,
NE24 5TF,

Rob White
21-04-2017, 11:04 PM

The injection method?
Do the standards state how much and what size holes are you injecting into.

From your explanation I assume you will eventually have a working prototype
and you want various parts filling, deliberately which will then be measured to
see what levels of gas are left behind?




Rob White
21-04-2017, 11:07 PM

If it is as simple as that I'm sure I could help out but if it is more technical
I might know people who might be able to help