PDA

View Full Version : Re-sealable evaporator fittings?

Vanilla Ice
20-04-2017, 04:08 PM
I need be able to disconnect the evaporator on a residential refrigerator and then put it back multiple times without having to hook up gauges/vacuum/charge the system.

I am trying to find re-sealable refrigeration fittings designed to be connected and disconnected at working pressures with no refrigerant loss.

I can turn off the fridge/let it thaw during the evaporator work, if necessary.

What sort of valving configuration or fittings should I be looking for? What is the best way to go about achieving this?

FaultCode
20-04-2017, 07:27 PM
You might find something like these connectors may work....

http://www.guyson.co.uk/hose-couplings/hansen-quick-release-couplings/hansen-couplings/hansen-hk-series-self-sealing-couplings

Vanilla Ice
20-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Perfect! I've seen similar, but the plug part of that connector is what I was looking for to make the whole thing work. I was about to fiddle with automotive couplings.

Thanks

PaulZ
21-04-2017, 04:50 AM
Hi VI
There is a problem with using this sort of coupling is that every time you connect there will be a small amount of air inside the coupling and this will build up in the system over time and cause you problems. You would probably lose a small amount of refrigerant as well when you disconnect.
I don't think you will get a coupling that would exclude all the air before opening the valves.
If you do find something post it.
Regards
Paul

Vanilla Ice
21-04-2017, 05:47 PM
PaulZ,

Thanks for the input.

Couldn't the same be said for some sort of valving configuration equivalent?

I think I can live with any small air added. The evap would only be removed and put back around 50 times max, and in a workshop setting. I'll add refrigerant if necessary, and if the system is contaminated or leaks then obviously a complete discharge, vacuum, re-oil, recharge, dance, etc.

These connections would be after the cap tube and before the second evaporator... Do you think there may be an issue with flow, pressure drop, vapor ratio, etc? My gut feel from the armchair was to avoid using something schrader-esque that may impede flow in some sciencey way, but I am likely over-complicating it.

Glenn Moore
22-04-2017, 06:30 AM
The Hansen couplings are used by several of the refrigerant charging still manufacturers for a similar purpose. They are of excellent quality and easy to use