PDA

View Full Version : Shower problems

pscott898
17-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a shower that has power to it's external switch (external to the bathroom) until I turn it on. Once I switch the shower on, the power to the external switch dissapears preventing the water being heated up.
The shower had previously lost power and had a smell of burning from the bathroom. I found that the wiring connecting block had melted. Thinking this was due to a loose wire and a damaged shower unit. I replaced the block and bought a new shower
I am at a loss to what is wrong. Has anyone got any ideas ?
:confused:

NoNickName
17-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I think your question is off our forums topics.

Argus
17-05-2006, 05:12 PM

This is a refrigeration forum and we do not have any expertise in these matters.

As you appear to be a UK resident, it is right to warn you that the current Electrical Safety Regulations and Building Regulations prohibit anyone not holding the relevant qualifications from doing any domestic electrical work, especially in bathrooms and kitchens.

This is serious and is an offence if you do the work yourself. You will most likely invalidate your insurance. All electrical work must now carry a certificate.

Please get qualified professional help.

________
BMW M1 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_M1)

slingblade
17-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I have a shower that has power to it's external switch (external to the bathroom) until I turn it on. Once I switch the shower on, the power to the external switch dissapears preventing the water being heated up.
The shower had previously lost power and had a smell of burning from the bathroom. I found that the wiring connecting block had melted. Thinking this was due to a loose wire and a damaged shower unit. I replaced the block and bought a new shower
I am at a loss to what is wrong. Has anyone got any ideas ?
:confused:

Why dont you have a bath instead.

Argus
17-05-2006, 05:54 PM

This is serious post from someone with a problem.
We can't help him, but would you please avoid the flippancy?

________
Honda CB900F (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB900F)

chillin out
18-05-2006, 12:00 AM
LLLOOLLL

Why post it in a refrigeration forum then?!??

1st..He doesn't have basic electrical knowledge
2nd..He shouldn't have touched it in the first place
3rd..He should have read the title of this forum
4th..He should take a bath
5th..After all this he deserves flippancy

Chillin:) :)

slingblade
18-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Do you think that if i started to converse about potential problems with neutrals and megger testing back to the diz board to establish and verify cable continuity that this chap would have any idea what im talking about or what to do? as chillin out said this is not really the place for problems such as this. my further advice would be to consult a qualified electrician or plumber, but it does seem that my response did amuse at least one person, flippant or not.

good day to you sir.

Toolman
18-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Good one sling :rolleyes: , its obvious he doesnt belong here with crazy electrical bathroom questions .;)

frank
18-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Good one sling :rolleyes: , its obvious he doesnt belong here with crazy electrical bathroom questions .;)
Hi Toolman

I agree that the poster has indeed ventured into the wrong forum for his particular problem but maybe we ought to show him some sympathy and advice. I don't think it does any good to ridicule

WebRam
19-05-2006, 06:24 AM
I think I should change this forum title to .... I nead help!

Dan
20-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I nead help with spelling
Dyslexics untie!

But ain't us fridge guys responsible for the plumbing and electrical too? I don't mind asking some questions of the originator of this thread.. along with making some assumptions, too.

Is what you are referring to as a "shower" actually an on-demand water heater?"

It really sounds like you have a short to ground with a heating element. Are you using electrical meters to trouble shoot your problem? I am a do-it-yourselfer, but I would call in a pro on this. You might have already spent money where the money didn't need to be spent.

I would enjoy your response when you finally have concluded your dilemma. Too often, people asking for help quit talking once the help arrives. In this forum, we enjoy the solutions to the puzzles we face every day.:)

chillin out
22-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I would enjoy your response when you finally have concluded your dilemma. Too often, people asking for help quit talking once the help arrives.
He posted on the 17-05-2006, 03:35 PM
His last activity: 17-05-2006 03:42 PM

A whole 7 minutes after posting!!!! Might be a bit hard to get a response from him ...LOL

Maybe he had to go run his bath?!?!?

Chillin:) :)

old gas bottle
23-05-2006, 06:24 PM
dont suppose calling you lot a right shower would help !!,have it checked out matey propely if in doubt buy a proper spark,may need a new supply alltogether as some of theese new showers suck a bit,far to risky to mess about in a shower[unless you want to borrow the mother in law]