PDA

View Full Version : External stat?

rockchap
05-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Is it possible to fit an external stat to override the one in a domestic split heat pump to get the unit to chill to a lower temp than the remote control will allow?

This is not for a specific unit but is anyone aware of one that could do this?

Thanks

Rob White
05-04-2017, 12:06 PM

Yes it can be easily done if you know how the control circuit works.
The trouble with AC units is they are built with lots of safety features
to stop the thing if it gets too cold, too hot or a multitude of other reasons.

In principle setting the stat lower is possible but unless the other safeties are
disabled it would trip out on something else.

If you had a system and rewired the control you could easily override the stat
and safety features but just resetting a new stat might lead onto other issues.
As the unit gets colder it starts behaving differently and the safeties are built
in to protect from that.

Regards

Rob

rockchap
05-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your answer.

The reason i ask is i'm opening a micro pub with a cellar of 7sqm and have been quoted £1500 to supply a chiller that goes down to 11C which is a standard unit to chill a an area at least twice the size required. I can buy a 12000BTU domestic split unit heat pump model for sub £400 pound but they only go down to 16C. As this is overspeced for the size of room I thought it would be well within its capabilities and would not need to run for as long as a lower output unit to reach target temp.

Thanks

Neil

The Viking
05-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Neil,

Unfortunately that is false economy and the AC will cost significantly more in the long run.
A sub £400 AC unit would have been designed for domestic usage (and most likely also be an unbranded Chinese grey import without tech support or spares availability). What the domestic usage bit means is that it is designed to last 7-10 years if it only is used occasionally but what you are looking for is something with a 24/7 duty cycle.

Also, if you are planning to store anything else than beer kegs down there, like vegetables or wine bottles, the AC has been designed to remove as much humidity from the air as possible whilst the proper plant has been designed to leave as much humidity as possible in the room.

:cool:

cadwaladr
05-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Invest in the correct equipment pretty certain you could locate something second hand with the amount of pubs closing,which part of the UK are you located ?

monkey spanners
05-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Where in the uk are you? Might have a secondhand system that would suit.

rockchap
06-04-2017, 10:07 AM
we are in the Leicester city centre.

Thanks

Neil

monkey spanners
06-04-2017, 07:47 PM
we are in the Leicester city centre.

Bit too far fro me for fitting secondhand kit that could be troublesome.

Rob White
07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Bit too far fro me for fitting secondhand kit that could be troublesome.

Are you daft man????? It's a pub!!! A PUB!!! What do pubs sell???

Yeh, you get my drift don't you, you do the job and they pay you
in beer tokens, or was is beer mats????

No wonder I never made a go of it on my own :D

Rob

aarenabbi
17-04-2017, 05:17 AM
Yes it is possible to fit an external stat to override the one in a domestic split heat pump to get the unit to chill to a lower temperature then the remote control will allow if did it in a proper way.

Grizzly
17-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes it is possible to fit an external stat to override the one in a domestic split heat pump to get the unit to chill to a lower temperature then the remote control will allow if did it in a proper way.

I know you are new to the forum and wish to contribute.
But what you are saying has already been said within the last few previous posts..

I am intrigued as you list yourself as a Professional content writer!
Could you tell us more?
Grizzly