PDA

View Full Version : coolbox

revol131
07-12-2001, 07:26 PM
i want to build my own cool box for a college project. i figured i would need it to hold about 9 litres and probably cool down to about 4oC from 36oC. has anyone got any ideas of what system to use? i tried a 36W peltier heat pump but it broke!? prehaps the fan was too small, i dont know but it didnt get down to the right temperature anyhow. im currently looking into using the same method as a domestic refrgierator. compressor etc. is this a good idea and is it expensive?

what would be the best system to use for this problem?

if anyone can help me, im beggining to get desperate here! got to start making it in a month and i havent even figured what cooling system to use yet!:eek:

Abe
07-12-2001, 10:10 PM
Hello revol

So you want to cool a box

First ensure it is LEAK TIGHT, ie: no holes, no air ingress, door shuts firmly closed and seals
Insulate the box, use polystyrene or if you are able to with polyurethane foam
Refrigeration components:
The easiest and cheapest is to use the parts from an old discarded fridge, you will find them in your local municipal tip, get permission ( These days regulations control the recyclability and destruction of fridges) so get permission so youre not flouting the law.
Costs?
You may need to buy a compressor
Around 100 Pounds
Putting it together
Enlist the help of a local refrigeration mechanic
Do not attempt it by yourself
Use a tactic like you will advertise his business at the end of your project and mention his name, etc, etc

Adding refrigerant, etc

You need to be aware of refrigerant handling and safety issues. Therefore as I said, enlist the help of a proffessional to assist hand on

Good luck;)

Brian_UK
07-12-2001, 11:51 PM
Hi Revol, following on from Aiyub I would start by asking, "Can you afford to build a cool box ?", being a student and all you shouldn't have any spare cash about. [Going on the past experience of putting my daughter thru Uni]

Anyway, allowing for the fact that it is going to cost a bit more than a few pounds (dollars, francs, dihrams etc). Could you get around the building of a working model by showing the design and construction on paper, or computer, and using parts of old, maybe broken, fridges as a illustrative example of what the finished product would look like.

Or, could you design it and then get the technology department students to construct it for you using their budget;)

Dan
18-03-2002, 04:02 AM
Rvol131,

I would love to know what you submitted and how things went.

Dan