PDA

View Full Version : frost on compressor pipes

gabyz
16-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi
I have a problem with my refrigerator.
The symptoms are as follows:
-The freezing compartment doesn't freeze (temp is above 0 centigrade)
- There is frost on one of the compressor pipes.

some details on the fridge:
it's a non-freeze fridge. There are 2 t-stats in the main section. There is a small air tunnel between the freezing compartment and the main section that is open and shut by one of the t-stats.

I have already filled the system with ***** (waist of money), but it didn't help.

I'd appretiate any help.
If any other details are needed please tell me.
BTW the fridge is an Israeli model (I live in Israel) Amcor XL500, if this helps.

Thank you
Gaby

Abe
16-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I think you have a coil frosted over, ie: not defrosting.
Switch fridge off overnight completely, switch on again, see if fridge works ok for a while

Peter_1
16-05-2006, 02:07 PM
What maked you decide to fill it with refrigerant?

Is the valve shutting properly between cold and freezing part?

On one of the compressor pipes. Are there 2 compressors?

cool breeze
17-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Sounds like you may have problems with your defrost timer or defrost heater. Turn timer until it drops into defrost and wait about 10 minutes and listen for the click of the defrost timer droping out of defrost. If it doesn't than replace timer. While it is in defrost you can take amp reading of refrig. to check if defrost heater is working. While in defrost mode the compressor and evap fan will drop of line.

kevin090972
17-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Hi,

Like what most guys have replied, it could be a defrost timer or heater problem. But on top of that, it can also be a fan problem. The moment you shut the fridge door, the fan starts running and circulating the cold air. If fan is spoilt, the compartment can ice up. Most fridge do not have charging valves bcos, there's really no need to top up the gas unless there's a leak. Well, if it's a leak, then topping it up is just waiting for another leak to occur isn't it?