PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a central heating system

EagleEyes
16-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi,

First let me tell you that I am a novice! so Sorry for silly questions...

My house is ready to install Radiators and central heating (GAS ou Diesel boiler). Gas for now is impossible, because only bottle gas is available there and Diesel prices are insane...

A few people suggested me AC inverter mode and the quote I have at the moment is for 2 Multisplit sources and 7 inside units. The needs of the house are 20.000 Kcal/h. In the middle of winter temperatures outside are around 0ºC and very humid.

Questions:
1) The quote I have is insane, is this solution the cheaper or is there any other alternative?
2) and silly question. people mention to me a air-Source heat pump. Isnt this a normal air conditioning?
3) and also silly, the ground source heat pump, how does it spread the heat inside the house?
4) the house does not need cooling during the summer, so which techonology you would advice...

Thanks in advance.

Lc_shi
16-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi
Hot water floor heating system may be a good choice. The heating source:air source hp/gas boiler/oil boiler/or electrical floor heating system ,compare it based on the initial cost and maintenance and opreation fee and then select. In our country,floor water with gas boiler for only heating in winter house is most economical choice. I'm not sure your situation. Only for your ref:)

rgds
LC

EagleEyes
16-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi
Hot water floor heating system may be a good choice.

floor heating is not an option :S

The pre-instalation for the radiators is there already and because the house has to be fully repainted inside out, I do not mind installing more pipes (eg air con) in the walls, but in the floor I cannot do anything.

Thanks anyway

Peter_1
16-05-2006, 02:23 PM
20000 Kcal/h,...are you living in a castel.
A unit of +/- 14 kW is very common these days in a well isolated home.
A grouns source heat pump gives you better average COP's but it costy more. But it runs much cheaper.
You also need for the best results radiant heating or radiators selected at low water temperature level (= big radiators or convectors)

puddleboy3
17-05-2006, 07:26 AM
:) Why not check out the new Altherma unit that daikin are selling, think it could be the answer to your problems!

EagleEyes
17-05-2006, 10:18 AM
The house needs are 20 kW, the altherna can produce max of 8, does this means I need 3 external units?

If I use a ground source heating, which are my solutions for the inside? radiators or units similar to A/C. I never saw a ground source heat pump working...

Sorry for this questions guys, but everytime I look in the web I find companies trying to sell and often they are not very clear.

Peter_1
17-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Who calculated this 20 kW?
GHSP works the best with radiant heating - as said earlier - and with low water radiators (or convectors) or simple blown water coils (www.rhoss.it for example)

Peter_1
17-05-2006, 02:53 PM
The Altherma is a French prodcut that is sold by any AC brand now. You can buy it also separately.

EagleEyes
18-05-2006, 09:31 AM
The house has 1 kitchen (20 m2) 3 room (20m2) 1 office (25m2) 3 bathrooms (6m2) 1 living room (42 m2) and 2 halls (12m2) separated in two floors. Two different companies said 20kw and in a website of heating systems it was also 20kw :confused: meaning (does this means that I need to have several external units, if the power of each external is lower than 20?)

I think my options are:
1) a/c with mutlsplit and inverter
2) the diesel (I DON'T LIKE IT!)
3) Ground source heat pump, but in Portugal I still was not able to find someone who can give me a quote, and still not sure how to implement this in the house... Can I get the same confort as with the A/C?

Believe my head is about to explode with so many contradictory information from different companies about different solutions... and prices.... for the diesel option 1 quote is 4000 Euro, the other 8000 Euro :confused:

I think I will just buy some blankets :p

Peter_1
19-05-2006, 08:02 AM
I have +/- 125 sqm and if you count 100 W/m², then you have more then enough, climate here is the same as you have (in winter, it goes below zero here and according to the guidelines that has to be followed, yuo must calulate it at -10°C otside)
So 12,5 kW or +/- 10000 kcal/h. You mentioned the double (20000 kcal/h).
I 'm still confused.

Of course, if you need 12 and you install 25 kW, the contractor can sleep on both his ears that your house allways will be heated more then needed.

Reason why so many propose something around 24 kW is because it's very difficult to find a burner (gas or oil) which has a capacity lower then 22 to 24 kW.

If you need 20 kW and an Altherma gives 8 kW, then you need 3 units :confused:
Don't forget, an Altherma prodcues warm water on a low temperature.
Noticed that floor heating isn't an option anymore and the pipes for radiators are already fitted, so there are not so many options left. Your question comes a litlle bit to late now.
Best option for you: fan coils.

Or leave the tubes and install an inverter.

I don't understand the quote you got for the inverter multiplits. What about the tubes already fitted for the radiators?
Best option for you: fan coils.

Andy
20-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Who calculated this 20 kW?
GHSP works the best with radiant heating - as said earlier - and with low water radiators (or convectors) or simple blown water coils (www.rhoss.it for example)

Rhoss also make heat pumps. Water to water or air to water are a good option here, with fan coil units (nice looking units, just like A/C.

A house up to 2000 ft would be a 15kW heat pump in our climate:)

One heat pump will be more effcient, but two will give you standby.

If it was my house I would fit fan coil units and an air to water heat pump.

Kind Regards Andy:)