PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant Leakage

Pravin
16-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi all,
What would be the most accurate way of detecting the slightest leakages in condensor/evaporator coils of R22 units?

Regards
Pravin:confused:

US Iceman
16-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Electronic leak detector or ultrasonic leak detection would provide the best sensing capabilities I believe.

Peter_1
16-05-2006, 06:13 AM
At least pressurise it with OFN till max allwoable pressure, mostly 25 bar (363 psi) and do it the way USICeman said.

D.D.KORANNE
16-05-2006, 04:59 PM
If Aircooled Condenser, Isolate, Remove And Pressurize , Seal It And Dip In Water .

iceman007
17-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I usually use UV leak detector for very small leaks.

Temprite
18-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Soapy water spray and nitrogen is a good way to pinpoint them after first finding with an electronic.

NoNickName
18-05-2006, 03:25 PM
The electronic leak detectors I came across have not proved to be reliable enough.
I was able to let it buzz by farting.

What brands and models are you guys using?

old gas bottle
18-05-2006, 06:08 PM
proper fridge bloke, even farts R22,stick some die in,go on holiday for a week,come back with the lamp and all will be revieled,leak detectors,lost count and interest,use one then check it with bubley.

Dan
21-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Leak checking a supermarket with 3 miles of pipe and 3,000 lbs of hfc gas is a challenge. Anybody have experience with UV dies and large refrigerant charges? I have heard horror stories about using dies. The cleanup, etc. And the underground, of course. Infra-red detectors seem to be holding up and telling the truth better than heated diode types, in my narrow experience. I also use an ultra-sonic, but I am on a learning curve with it.

old gas bottle
21-05-2006, 09:06 AM
the thread states the coils whitch are accessable though i agree with the usage of other methods also,underfloor leaks etc are a nightmare,thank god there relitivly rare.

TONY_MF
21-05-2006, 09:38 AM
try to use MAPP GAS. flame color will change if you have a leak and you will smell the gas and oil odor of the system. one of the best aside from soft.

jamcool
21-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Can I tell u:) ,speaking of Mapp Gas:) went on a site once with a senior tech to find a leak on a outdoor condenser,(walk-in-cooler)it was a pin hole found easy with soap and water:D ,the tech said since it was a small hole,alot had not leaked out(that was his conclusion) so he grabed his torch and started to,in his words "close the pin hole":eek: when he started, I asked "is that safe" hoping he would wake up,his reply was it will be "quick" so i quickly left the roof on my way down the ladder he passed me going down:) this was after the condenser blew.
The old gas detectors with the hose MAYBE but a regular MAPP GAS:eek: not for me bud:)