recognised as the next generation of refrigerants because
of their environmental friendliness.

I’m not a chemist and I don’t fully understand how the
process works but if HFO’s are unsaturated HFC’s, what
are HFC’s saturated with?

Rob

monkey spanners
12-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Afaik they just changed the nomenclature so as to distance the new refrigerant from the hfc phase out.

cduque
12-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Well, I am not a chemical myself but the question is really chemical.
The carbon atoms can each be connected with 4 hydrogen or fluor or other carbon atoms and the various combinations gives the different HFC with the different characteristics we know:
If in two of the carbon atoms we only "occupy" two connections with hydrogen or fluor, the other two will be linked with another carbon atom being "unsaturated".
These connections are "weak" and can easily be destroyed, for instance if there is a leak and the gas goes to the atmosphere and receives the sunlight (ultraviolet). In this situation the resulting substances will have a lower global warming potential and so it's a kind of "biodegradable".
That's why they are said to have a lower GWP.
Regards

frank
13-02-2017, 07:51 PM
can't give you any points mate....I must share them around first

Rob White
14-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Well, I am not a chemical myself but the question is really chemical.
The carbon atoms can each be connected with 4 hydrogen or fluor or other carbon atoms and the various combinations gives the different HFC with the different characteristics we know:
If in two of the carbon atoms we only "occupy" two connections with hydrogen or fluor, the other two will be linked with another carbon atom being "unsaturated".
These connections are "weak" and can easily be destroyed, for instance if there is a leak and the gas goes to the atmosphere and receives the sunlight (ultraviolet). In this situation the resulting substances will have a lower global warming potential and so it's a kind of "biodegradable".
That's why they are said to have a lower GWP.
Regards

Absolutely fantastic. Brilliant answer and I actually understood it.

I can't give you any points either so my eternal
love on Valentines day will have to suffice.

:D

Rob

Quality
15-02-2017, 02:44 PM
That is a good explanation