PDA

View Full Version : gear bender

freezy
13-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi all

Has anyone else had any problems with imperial eastman 1"1/8 gear benders. The pinion cog part which the handles go through keeps losing its teeth. I'm on my third one now, my bender is due to go out of warranty and the part costs around £50.00 to replace.

I've been using these benders for about 10 years now and this has never happened before.I would like to contact the manufacturer for some help but can't find their website, perhaps they have changed the type of metal.

Argus
13-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi all

Has anyone else had any problems with imperial eastman 1"1/8 gear benders. The pinion cog part which the handles go through keeps losing its teeth. I'm on my third one now, my bender is due to go out of warranty and the part costs around ?50.00 to replace.

I've been using these benders for about 10 years now and this has never happened before.I would like to contact the manufacturer for some help but can't find their website, perhaps they have changed the type of metal.

I found this site on Google.

http://www.imperialeastman.com/

Eastman is a very reputable make and has been making good equipment for many decades.

If it has suddenly started happening on previously reliable tools, have you considered the changes lately to copper tube manufacture with the introduction of the PED in Europe?

Wall thicknesses and possibly tensile strength of the metal has increased due to the adoption of R 410A in recent years.
It may be a long shot, but worth considering.

________
top penny stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

old gas bottle
13-05-2006, 08:32 PM
mines a few years old now and no probs,may be cheaper made and cheaper pipe !

Chris Burton
22-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I always put the benders in a b&d work bench, oil the bender surfaces & lightly heat area to be bent otherwise they are a nightmare to use

SteveCass
19-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I have been using these for years also and have broken 2 or 3. Tends to be general wear and tear, plus some manufacturers\suppliers use thicker wall copper. Sounds dodgy to have done so many in such as short space of time. Perhaps its the copper you have been using. Try oiling them daily. :confused:

Steve

condenseddave
22-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I've had to spray the pipe with something like WD-40 for the gear benders to work easily and effectively.

I went to a REMS ratchet a few years back and my gears went into retirement.