PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Refrigeration Best Practices Guidebook

US Iceman
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
While looking for some information today I found this guidebook and thought some of you may find it useful and informative.

http://www.nwfpa.org/eweb/docs/Energy_Portal_Doc/Efficiency_Practices/Process_Efficiency/Refrigeration/Industrial%20Refrigeration%20Best%20Practice%20Guide.pdf
(4.08 MB)

Brian_UK
12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for that, it looks like a worthwhile book.

US Iceman
13-05-2006, 01:12 AM
HI Brian,

Unfortunately, the guidebook was not intended for an international audience, but if a person can wade through the unit conversions it should be helpful to some.

jamcool
13-05-2006, 03:11 PM
US Iceman,
As a not so old tech in the trade:) a big THANKS for all the links specially on Industrial stuff,wish to get into more industrial stuff so all the info is of great use to me,not alot of industrial kit in the islands:mad: but learning must never stop so as we would say "NUFF Respect" an "Big Up all de' time":D and send more man:)

aawood1
13-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi US ICEMAN, Have had a look at the book and will spend some more time on it at work with a 12Hr. night shift tonight. The unit conversions should be OK as when I started it was all PSI and oF. at J.E. Halls training (all the test papers)
Arthur.

colinmcmanus
15-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Where and who by were you taught at J& E Halls

shabeer
10-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Hello All Users,i Am New To This Community

Andy
10-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello All Users,i Am New To This Community

Hi Shabeer:)

Welcome to RE:)

Hope you enjoy your stay

Kind Regards Andy:)

Andy
10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
While looking for some information today I found this guidebook and thought some of you may find it useful and informative.

http://www.nwfpa.org/eweb/docs/Energy_Portal_Doc/Efficiency_Practices/Process_Efficiency/Refrigeration/Industrial%20Refrigeration%20Best%20Practice%20Guide.pdf
(4.08 MB)

Hi Iceman:)
the technology used in these plants is very close to our PowerSaveSystem.
Spooky in a way as I had no idea what was happening in Ammerica when I was designing our system.
Good microprocessor controls:)
VSD on a lead compressor:)
VSD on the condenser fan:)
VSD on the evaporator where possible:)

We also use product probes on the coldstores not air probes and make use of cheap night electric.

Nice to see real tax incentives for using this technology, bringing the paybacks down from 4 years to 1 year.
Strangely the paybacks are also quite close to what I quote and the 35% energy savings;)

US Iceman
23-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Andy,

I must apologize for not replying sooner. Somehow I must have missed your last post.

We also use product probes on the cold stores not air probes and make use of cheap night electric.

I like that idea, since the product temperature is what we are really interested in. Have you had any complaints from inspectors, etc. about fluctuating air temperatures?

And do you over-cool the products during the night so that the air temperature swings are minimized?

Strangely the paybacks are also quite close to what I quote and the 35% energy savings.

Now how did that happen buddy?;)

How much difference is there between off peak power costs and on peak power costs there in Ireland?

Andy
23-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Andy,

I must apologize for not replying sooner. Somehow I must have missed your last post.

I like that idea, since the product temperature is what we are really interested in. Have you had any complaints from inspectors, etc. about fluctuating air temperatures?

And do you over-cool the products during the night so that the air temperature swings are minimized?

Now how did that happen buddy?;)

How much difference is there between off peak power costs and on peak power costs there in Ireland?

With the product probes the air temperature rise is not noticed as the store records are off loggers which again simulate product temperature:)

There is a lot of different electricity tarrifs, I suppose night time electric is just over half the cost of daytime:)

Peter_1
23-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Does someone have the whole book instead of the 26 pages which can be seen on their site?
Is it a good book?

Brian_UK
23-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Does someone have the whole book instead of the 26 pages which can be seen on their site?The link above gave me about 129 pages Peter.

Peter_1
24-07-2006, 07:12 AM
This is the message I receive when the document is open

This is an excerpt of the Industrial Refrigeration Best Practices Guide.
Chapter 2-6 are omitted.
For more information:
888-720-6823
www.industrialefficiencyalliance.org

Peter

US Iceman
24-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Peter,

I just tried the link again and saw what you are describing. This must have been changed recently.:(

I will see if I can help you with this.

Lc_shi
25-07-2006, 01:46 AM
It's a good book but I met the same problem as Peter. it's only 26 pages available:(

regards
LC

brian_chapin
20-12-2007, 03:49 PM
The link is still that silly 20some page excerpt - does anyone have a copy of the full document they could send my way?

Samarjit Sen
20-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello US Iceman,

It seems that very few members were fortunate to have the complete book. It would be very nice if some one who has the complete Guide, please upload the same on www.yousendit.com (http://www.yousendit.com) and put the link on forum, so that the unfortunate ones like me could get the same.

Grizzly
20-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Andy,

Hi Iceman.
Sorry for jumping in on an old post. But maybe some of the questions are still relevent.
I can't speak for Andy but I supect the Tarrifs are not disimilar.
Here in the UK. It is very much dependant on who you purchase your Electricity from.
But generally speaking ther can be as many as 5 different Tarrifs throughout a 24hr period. Also logically what season you are in determines what you pay.
The most expensive period is between the months of January and February with the hours of 1600hrs to 1900hrs @20 to 30 pence per unit and between 2400hrs to 0600hrs can be as little as
3 pence per unit.
The difference is so huge that we started to adopt a policy of "Load Shedding". Where all non eccential equipment was turned off during some or all of the daytime. The shift fork trucks had timers fitted so that irrespective of when they were pluggged in the only came on charge after 1900hrs.
Where possible two stage timers and stats have been fitted. So that the chambers are held at the warmest option during the day and the lowest ( plant fully loaded during the night ).
I suspect that both you and Andy have the load shedding of the plant down to a fine art.
But just as an observation slightly outside the box
you may be able to offer even more savings.
If I am repeating what's been said I appologise but like many before me I cannot download the full copy of your pdf.
Grizzly.

Samarjit Sen
20-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Just came accross a refrigeration handbook for saving money and energy. The link is as follows.

http://www.3e.uct.ac.za/downloads/refrigeration.pdf

Sergei
21-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Just came accross a refrigeration handbook for saving money and energy. The link is as follows.

http://www.3e.uct.ac.za/downloads/refrigeration.pdf
Recently, I found that several "experts" try to give energy saving tips similar to the tips in this book. Usually, it is well known information. These people give you questionable or obvious direction of energy savings. Even good Industrial Efficiency Alliance book gives the ways of possible energy savings. However, good energy savings based on knowledge of details, but not directions.
Example. Many people know that lower condensing pressure usually saves energy. What is the best condensing pressure? 80psig,100psig, 120psig.... To save energy, we should know the optimum settings for particular plant at different conditions. Sometimes 80psig is optimum, sometimes 120psig is optimum.
Another example is wet bulb approach feature for evaporative condensers. This feature is useless for many refrigeration plants, but for others it can be very useful.

US Iceman
22-12-2007, 04:14 AM
These books tend to create more "experts" than necassary. Everytime one of these books is printed someone without very much experience can go into a clients and say "do this to save money", but I doubt they have any idea of how to "do it".