PDA

View Full Version : Old Ammonia Compressors

US Iceman
11-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Here are some old drawings showing the oil lubrication paths in reciprocating compressors.

The first picture shows the most "modern" type of the old style compressors.

The second file shows an old A-frame compressor (this is really old and very big)

The third picture shows a horizontal compressor.

I'll look for some additional pictures to post.

cool king2007
24-10-2009, 09:36 PM
hi man,
can you send me more information about Ammonia refrigeration
thanks

sterl
24-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Nice old dwgs, Iceman.

Did you see this??

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66561

US Iceman
24-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Yep, Have seen that somewhere before. I just love seeing this old equipment. It's even more amazing when you compare the capacity of these to new screws. A world of difference!

Magoo
25-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi US Iceman.
Good post, OK I am old, but way back when a younger person, I came across a meat processing company that maintained one of there original compressors from the 19th century, friggen amazing, a double compression thing the size of a small house, with belt ropes driving it. An electric motor that had huge resistor starter things that took half an hour to get to speed. Amazing to watch, it hissed banged and clanked all at the same time. The still employed an old stroger to make the rope belts, he could get each one within 5 millemetres. The same company pioneered export frozen mutton the the UK. And refrigerated boats with sails.
I think now the place has probably been dimolished due to US stanadrd requirements for export of meat.
Just thought I would share with you.

US Iceman
25-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Magoo.

I have not seen any with rope belts, but I have seen several with flat leather belts flopping around. What I have not seen operating is an old steam Corliss engine running a compressor! What a machine...;)

Magoo
26-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi US Iceman, again way back I was sent to a ship to check calibratin of refrigerated hold temp scribe monitors, told that I shouuld take a bucket and a bag of ice and check each probe and report on deviation, all for carge insurance people.
Well the the ship was an old Liberty boat on its last voyage before scrap yard in India. I am sure the only thing hlding it together was rust.
But the main thing was it had a double action CO2 compressor and steam driven. Too young to go anywere near it. Had gauges ( brass ) about 2 feet diameter.
The funny thing was all the sensors ( gas filled and must have been miles long ) were in ducts at each level. Wooden lockers several levels deep. The crew must have decided that ths was a good place to hide all contraband booze from customs.
It was a jolly fine, funny weekend.

US Iceman
26-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Ahhh, the good old days, huh?;)