PDA

View Full Version : Trainee engineer starting new job.

Pwhiting90
10-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Hi I'm starting a trainee air con/refrigeration engineer job in a couple of weeks and have been told to provide own hand tools. What would you guys suggest as a start to get me going? Thanks in advance

Magoo
10-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Wait till you start, initially just basic hand tools, adjustable spanners ,screw drivers , socket set. and a big hammer. :-) and a tool bag.

The Viking
11-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Broom, dustpan and brush.
Add a kettle, some tea&coffee&milk not forgetting some styrofoam cups and you will soon find yourself being the favourite apprentice.

:cool:

cadwaladr
11-11-2016, 12:08 AM
A bull **** bag,because an old fridge man mate said bull **** baffles brains every time,on a serious note adjustables screwdrivers a torch pen and paper safety glasses ,and most important dedication to learning hope you enjoy the trade don't be afraid to ask questions at work or on this site!

Magoo
11-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Add note pad and pen to list, for organizing morning tea and lunch orders, if you are sharp add 10% and make it worth you while.

The Viking
11-11-2016, 12:17 AM
OK,
So hopefully you understood that my last post was slightly tongue in cheek...
But, assuming that you are just starting out as an apprentice, hopefully your new employer will team you up with an experienced engineer who already got all the tools, so you don't need to bring tools with you on your first day.
Your best option is to ask the engineer you are teamed up with what task you will be doing and what tools you need to get for those tasks.

Most likely you will be asked to get your own:
- Side cutter (to cut cable ties with and, as time goes on, cables)
- Philips, flat head and terminal screwdrivers.
- 2 adjustable spanners (But ask the engineer what size he recommend)
- Knife
You will need to get a bag to put it all in, looking at your location, you are likely to at times be working in London so my recommendation is to get a rucksack type toolbag large enough to hold your lunch, coat and other personal items.

Hey, welcome to the madhouse and enjoy yourself (but don't forget my first reply)
:cool:

charlie patt
12-11-2016, 07:15 PM
A pen a pad and a small selection of tools nothing to new bit of use the better and listen well good luck we need a lot more youth in our trade again good luck

thebrockenshire
13-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Screw drivers
Shifters
Knife
TAPE MEASURE
Note pad and pen
Ears and a go getter attitude