PDA

View Full Version : LG condensate

gwilliamson
09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi, got a query chaps.
I have inherited some LG wall splits service contracts unfortunately and am having some issues with too much condensate leaking from the wall units. All is clean and all drains are free to flow. pressures are 65psi low and 7.5 amp running in cooling. (should be around 10amp). Inside temp 20oc , discharge around 5oc. All seemed fine accept to much condensate thus leaking down the wall. LG guy on the phone believes there is not enough gas and they are running too cold! Had a long day and feeling a bit blonde.!!
Can anyone suggest a sensible explanation for this problem?
Many thanks

frank
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Gas charge, pressures etc do not really matter.

If the unit is cooling then condensate will be produced. The drainage should catch all condensate and allow it to be transported to discharge, either by gravity or via a pump.

If the condensate is running down the wall then the problem is with the condensate path which means that the condensate is not draining correctly.

I would assume you've checked the polystyrene drip pan for cracks/leaks and that the coil is not touching the casing at the rear. :)

Oh, and how can LG say that they are cooling too much with suction pressure at 65psig?

Abe
09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I think the LG have some design prob with condensate drippping off , I had some probs with the cassettes

NoNickName
09-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Sometimes condensate dripping just solves by degreasing the coil with some non-foamy detergent, like diluted ammonia. Grease or oil builds up on the fins and let the drops fall before running to the condensate pan.
Spray the solution with a hand spray, like the flowering type and let it for few minutes. Rinse with spray water.

gwilliamson
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Many thnaks to all.
Just to check before i phone back the muppet from LG. Would the refrigeration charge make any difference to the condensate or am i only looking for a drain or design fault as i suspect?

frank
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
If you have a low gas charge then you will end up evaporating below freezing and eventually you will see frost forming on the coil. This will reduce the amount of "normal" condensate but will increase the amonut of water created during a defrost

Temprite
09-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I have had some splits where the drain has been installed incorrectly and goes up slightly before it goes out the wall and down.

Result of this is water sits inside the drain pan and if you test the drain it still flows freely but you end up with water condensing on the bottom of the cold drain pan and dripping off onto the floor or down the wall.

Had this same problem on some reverse cycle units where the black putty that covers the distibutor has melted on the heating cycle and partially blocked the drain causes the same problem as above.

Ireland
09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I had a drain pan split on one.

This may be your problem.

It took a while to identify it too.

Birds
09-05-2006, 11:51 PM
The condensate outlets are very low on the LG compared with other makes . A slight incline through the wall can cause overflowing of the drain pan.

S_Line
10-05-2006, 08:06 AM
another cause may be the units are undersized ? with condensate dripping off the louver blades.

I come across many shops where local company installs under powered wall units in a shop where the wall unit run flat out all day long in a 24 degree + shop. Drip Drip Drip,

I feel sorry for the customers when i tell them its undersized.

As others have said the drain needs a good fall from the pan, some engineers cant drill a hole to the rear of a wall unit with a slight decline.

All i can suggest is a MAJOR strip down, to visually check the drain pan for cracks, and to check the fall of the drain pipe from the wall unit.

Don't mess about, tell them how it is and cover yourself, otherwise you will keep being called back.

Recommend a strip down a major clean of the wall units, at least in your mind you will know.

Brian

Andy W
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
First off ask the customer "has it always done this" then you know if you are looking for a recent service fault or a long term design fault. I have had problems on 2 of the new 5.4 KW wall units, a mate of mine had problems and made some deflector plates to cure the problem but we should not have to go to those lengths.

mojopt
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Sometimes a "hot" spot on the evaprator can cause the surface tension of the condensate to break. When this happens the condensate usually misses the drain pan. These hot spots can be caused by an inadequate amount of refrigerant in the coil or even a circuit is not feeding.

Best regards...