PDA

View Full Version : System Burn Out Troubleshooting

altaf22m
09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
System burn out Clean up procedure.

I was working on burn out compressor (semi-sealed, 06D) DX system for a 20 ton package unit of carrier model no.50DP020, I REMOVED the burn out compressor, flush the condensor coil from liquid line and evaporator coil from suction line with ***** 22 ittself without disconnecting the metering device (Distributor type, 7 capillaries with common header from liquid line to evaporator inlet). I replaced the same type of compressor with new refurbished one, replaced the filter-drier (standard shell type) , pressure test the system, leak test, vaccumize the system, sweep the system with ***** 22 (5psig) and re vaccumize the system, Break the the vaccum and charge the refrigerant-22. And, First run the system for half an hour and did the oil test for acidity in system, found the acid is present in system (very unsatisfactory).
I removed the compressor oil & filter-drier and re flush the system condensor and evaporator coil from liquid-line without disconnecting the compressor suction and discharge service valve.
While flushing the evaporator, I flushed it with R-22 as from the npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase without disconnecting metering device i.e. (capillary type-distributor) and release the pressure from liquid-line (drier removed). Then, I again flush the evaporator from the LIQUID LINE and release the pressure from npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase.
I did the above procedure thrice, because when I check the oil for acidity with the help of acid test kit, I found the acidity present in system.( the colour of test kit solution turns yellow twice and third time it shows orange colour of test kit solution, which is unsatisfactory ).
Note: The drier and oil was replaced on every test of acidity in oil.

The fourth time I flush the system ONLY from a liquid-line with R-22 using liquid refrigerant and release the pressure from the charging port given on suction line, before suction service valve of compressor.

I replaced the filter-drier, charged the oil in compressor (4gs) half level of sight glass. Pressure test system, check for leak, and vaccumise the system, after vaccuming, I break the vaccume with refrigerant till (120 psig standing pressure and started the unit.

When the compressor starts, I check the gauge for charging refrigerant in system. And , I found the gauge was showing 120 psig in running condition for 5 to 7 seconds as soon as compressor starts, and suddenly pressure reduces to 0 to 2 psig (the LP switch was by-passed to charge the refrigerant) and discharge pressure is 150 psig . I check the refrigerant cylinder valve, manifold gauge valves are open properly & charging port access valve (swivel core type) is ok. Also check the filter-drier was ok, but replace to clear the doubt for any blockage, but still the problem is at it is.

Now, I would like to know, what could be the reason that the pressure is suddenly dropping to 0 or 2 psig.

1, Is there any blockage in capillary, distributor, or ?
2, Is there any blockage in suction filter of compressor or?
3, Is it something else other problem.

Pls help. !!!!!

WHAT IS THE RIGHT PROCEDURE TO TROUBLE SHOOT IT.

Dan
10-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Now, I would like to know, what could be the reason that the pressure is suddenly dropping to 0 or 2 psig.

1, Is there any blockage in capillary, distributor, or ?
2, Is there any blockage in suction filter of compressor or?
3, Is it something else other problem.

If number 1, you should be seeing a very cold temperature at the point of blockage... at least briefly.

If number 2, you should measure the temperature and pressure of the evaporator. If the pressure matches or is close to the saturated temperature of the evaporator, then your problem is downstream of the evaporator and expansion devices.

If Number 3, you will need to establish temperature and pressure relationships in the condenser and evaporator. This will help indicate where your problem is.

Rule no 1 in my book of troubleshooting is always go back to the last repair. You could very well have an expansion valve with a bad powerhead, for example. And this failure led to a compressor burnout because other safety mechanisms were not in place.

curious123
10-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Using R22 to flush a burnout is only possible in India. In Australia you would loose your Refrigeration Handling Licence. I prefer to use LP gas to flush and flare it of outside, then to purge/pressure test with N2 to remove the LP and check for leakes of the system and then I VACUUM the unit. Flushing with a chlorinated refrigerant is bad practice and will cause further problems in the future for the environment and the industrie.

Julian
10-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Fit a burn out drier to remove the acid

dogma
10-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Fit a burn out drier to remove the acid

Using R22 to flush a burnout is only possible in India. In Australia you would loose your Refrigeration Handling Licence. I prefer to use LP gas to flush and flare it of outside, then to purge/pressure test with N2 to remove the LP and check for leakes of the system and then I VACUUM the unit. Flushing with a chlorinated refrigerant is bad practice and will cause further problems in the future for the environment and the industrie.

exactly.:) :( :rolleyes: :)

afeef
10-05-2006, 07:06 AM
hi altaf
in your system there is so much burned oil layed on tubes, and it does not removed by your flushing process ,,because you use R22 , and this is not cleaning material for heavy contaminated loops
you must use flushing fluid ,,,this is sold at this site
www.car-air-conditioning-supplies.com

i beleive that the compressor oil is not have been changed for long period of time,,and it working on hard conditions,,so the oil get burned severly and contaminate the system
good day

afeef
10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
this is other site you can buy flushing fluid:

www.refrigerantsales.com
regards

The MG Pony
10-05-2006, 08:52 AM
realy using R-22 as a flush agent is just plain stupid on multiple degrees, sorry I've never been one to sugar coat.

Get some real flush compound such as RX11, a guy has an ebay site and he's awsome FrostyFreeze A/C store

http://stores.ebay.ca/Frosty-Freeze-A-C-Products-Company_Auto-A-C-Flushes-Flush-Kits_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ1486113QQftidZ2QQtZkm < Direct link

I buy all most all my stuff from him. and or you can use the two upper links but I'd personaly recamend the above guy as he is very fast with shipping and hasn't failed me once. now for futur referance save the environment and your time and put away the R-22, you'll get better resualts using compressed Air! (IE NON)

Harris Daniel
17-05-2006, 02:57 PM
The System must be flushed with R11. R11 is also a very good cleaning agent. The system must be vacuumed well and the R11, must be injected into the sytem. Once the R11 enters the system, Nitrogen must be used to fush the system with pressusre. The Nitrogen will pressurise the system and drive away all the R11 that was injected into the system>>.well, R11 is not really injected into the sytem...once the system is vacuumed well, R11 will automatically flow into the system from the R11 cylinder. R11 will cleanse the system and Nitrogen will flush out the dirt and the R11 from the system. ...i am an indian too...and i refuse to believe that in india people flush the system with R22. Thanks
Harris Daniel.
Box: 4311. Dubai. United Arab Emirates.

Brian_UK
17-05-2006, 07:23 PM
R11 will cleanse the system and Nitrogen will flush out the dirt and the R11 from the system. ...i am an indian too...and i refuse to believe that in india people flush the system with R22.Is this because of the cost perhaps because using R11 is a far worse crime from my point of view than using R22.:(

The MG Pony
17-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Is that what RX11 is? And why I've all ways been told by the current guys RX11 is what is suposed to be used?

narender singh
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
this problem in your compressor discharge reed .sothat you check compressor efficiency you closed the compressor suction valve&discharge valve and suction gauge fixed in suction gauge port & discharge gauge in discharge gauge port after that you start the compressor .compressor built some pressure in discharge gauge then you put off compressor and see pressure drop in discharge gauge &pressure rise in suction gauge it's mean your compressor reed not proper fixed in valve plate.
regards
Narender singh

nike123
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
this problem in your compressor discharge reed .sothat you check compressor efficiency you closed the compressor suction valve&discharge valve and suction gauge fixed in suction gauge port & discharge gauge in discharge gauge port after that you start the compressor .compressor built some pressure in discharge gauge then you put off compressor and see pressure drop in discharge gauge &pressure rise in suction gauge it's mean your compressor reed not proper fixed in valve plate.
regards
Narender singh

I think that he is probably fixed that in past 3 years.;)

Fri3Oil System
07-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes, the thread is quite old, but I thought you amy like to read this:
For any future burn outs, our recomendation is: Please, do not release any R-22 or other refrigerant, even it your are allowed to use it (R-22, R-11, whatever), by just flushing the systems. It is better to clean the circuits witha proper method, and avoid this way future burn outs. Nitrogen is not miscible with oils, so it does not take them out of the circuits.
I recomend you to watch this video:
http://www.fri3oilsystem.com/ingles/video/video.html