PDA

View Full Version : Burn out System, Clean up procedure. & Troubleshooting.

altaf22m
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I was working on burn out compressor (semi-sealed, CARRIER-06D) DX system for a 20 ton package unit of carrier model no.50DP020, I REMOVED the burn out compressor, flush the condensor coil from liquid line and evaporator coil from suction line with ***** 22 ittself without disconnecting the metering device (Distributor type, 7 capillaries with common header from liquid line to evaporator inlet). I replaced the same type of compressor with new refurbished one, replaced the filter-drier (standard shell type) , pressure test the system, leak test, vaccumize the system, sweep the system with ***** 22 (5psig) and re vaccumize the system, Break the the vaccum and charge the refrigerant-22. And, First run the system for half an hour and did the oil test for acidity in system, found the acid is present in system (very unsatisfactory).
I removed the compressor oil & filter-drier and re flush the system condensor and evaporator coil from liquid-line without disconnecting the compressor suction and discharge service valve.
While flushing the evaporator, I flushed it with R-22 as from the npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase without disconnecting metering device i.e. (capillary type-distributor) and release the pressure from liquid-line (drier removed). Then, I again flush the evaporator from the LIQUID LINE and release the pressure from npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase.
I did the above procedure thrice, because when I check the oil for acidity with the help of acid test kit, I found the acidity present in system.( the colour of test kit solution turns yellow twice and third time it shows orange colour of test kit solution, which is unsatisfactory ).
Note: The drier and oil was replaced on every test of acidity in oil.

The fourth time I flush the system ONLY from a liquid-line with R-22 using liquid refrigerant and release the pressure from the charging port given on suction line, before suction service valve of compressor.

I replaced the filter-drier, charged the oil in compressor (4gs) half level of sight glass. Pressure test system, check for leak, and vaccumise the system, after vaccuming, I break the vaccume with refrigerant till (120 psig standing pressure and started the unit.

When the compressor starts, I check the gauge for charging refrigerant in system. And , I found the gauge was showing 120 psig in running condition for 5 to 7 seconds as soon as compressor starts, and suddenly pressure reduces to 0 to 2 psig (the LP switch was by-passed to charge the refrigerant) and discharge pressure is 150 psig . I check the refrigerant cylinder valve, manifold gauge valves are open properly & charging port access valve (swivel core type) is ok. Also check the filter-drier was ok, but replace to clear the doubt for any blockage, but still the problem is at it is.

Now, I would like to know, what could be the reason that the pressure is suddenly dropping to 0 or 2 psig.

1, Is there any blockage in capillary, distributor, or ?
2, Is there any blockage in suction filter of compressor or?
3, Is it something else other problem.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT & EASY PROCEDURE TO TROUBLESHOOT IT?
Pls help. !!!!!

NoNickName
09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I would say the liquid solenoid does not stay open, maybe the diaphragm is broken.

altaf22m
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks For Reply, And For Your Information, There Is No Liquid Solenoid Valve Installed On It.

And No Txv Too.

Peter_1
09-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Flushing with R22?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Blockage of the distributor?
Your original question was "WHAT IS THE RIGHT & EASY PROCEDURE TO TROUBLESHOOT IT?"

May we change it in "WHAT IS THE RIGHT & EASY PROCEDURE TO CLEAN A BURNED SYSTEM?

Blockage of the distributor due to debris or moisture?

NoNickName
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
20 ton with no TXV and no liquid valve.
I'm not surprised the compressor failed.
Can i further add to Peter's: WHAT IS THE RIGHT & EASY PROCEDURE TO BUILD A CHILLER?

jamcool
10-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Get some OFN(oxygen free nitrogen) to flush with aslo try putting a suction line drier to help with the clean up:) Triple Vac. ,Triple Vac,Triple Vac:D

altaf22m
10-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks EVERYBODY for your reply.

If the distributor has choked, then is it possible, if FLUSHED WITH NITROGEN will clean the blockage, or should I WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE CAPILLARY OR DISTRIBUTOR.
ALSO, is there any bore or orifice given prior to inlet of capillary (distributor type).

PLS EXPLAIN.WHAT SHOULD BE THE EASIER WAY.

NOTE: THE PACKAGE UNIT IS 20 TON, WITH TWO CIRCUITS, EACH CIRCUIT OF 10 TONS CAPACITY. (COMPRESSOR MODEL- 06D-3286,MAKE- CARRIER).

Peter_1
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
NoNickName, you're rigt 20 ton (70 kw) without a TEV nor SV :eek:
Is this Carrier??????

Brian_UK
10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
He maybe hasn't found the TEV yet !!

altaf22m
11-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Yes Peter,
It Is A Carrier Unit. And, Do U Mean That I Will Have To Open All The Seven Capillaries To Check For Blockage One By One.

iceman007
11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
150psi discharge pressure ? Isn't that rather low considering the temperature out there is 35 or 40 degrees ?

Now I know why the suppliers had no R22 when I went on there today !

You need to clean up the acid (not with R22), change the oil, install oversize drier, burn out suction drier if necessary, and keep cleaning up until no acid or moisture is present. Recharge and measure correct superheat on TEV (there must be one). check motor current draw against plate to get correct charge and measure subcooling from condenser to correct level (as TEV should keep superheat reasonably constant)

Make sure the valves are open correctly. If you have a liquid line blockage you can tell from the difference in temperature before changing the drier assuming you have it fully charged, which I doubt you have

James

afeef
13-05-2006, 06:21 AM
hi altaf
as all fellows here saing to you ,,,you must use chemical solution in flushing the system ,,, seems you have oily sludges on pipes ,,this is because you do not change oil for long period of time (more than 5 years)
this is site where you can buy these chemicals:
www.refrigerantsales.com

www.technicalchemical.com

www.car-air-conditioning-supplies.com

thanks and good luck
afeef

Stevek
14-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Distributors quite often have a sneeky little fine strainer mesh on the main inlet pipe that gets bunged up!

davej
14-10-2006, 09:55 PM
sounds like you may be thinking the distirbutors are cappilary's.
there must be an exp valve before them

Refrigerologist
22-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Flushing with R22:eek:

I am wanting to be like fridge engineer!

Hope the feds aren't reading your post. It is illegal to dump any gas to atmosphere!

Why not phone a real a/c engineer

Andy
25-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes Peter,
It Is A Carrier Unit. And, Do U Mean That I Will Have To Open All The Seven Capillaries To Check For Blockage One By One.

alta22m:)

there will be an expansion valve.;)

1/Recover all the refrigerant and take it to you wholesaler for destruction.

2/Remove the expansion device and bin it

3/Blow through the system without the expansion valve with nitrogen

4/Change the drier.

5/Fit the new expansion valve

6/Triple evacuate the system

7/Recharge by weight

8/Recommission system, to inlude setting the expansion valve superheat and recording all tempertures on a log.

9/Check with the manufacturer that the operating conditions on the log are correct.

If the distributor is blocked, sweat it out and replace it, but I doubt that is the case.

Hope this helps:)

Kind Regards Andy:)

subz
19-03-2008, 04:21 AM
I was working on burn out compressor (semi-sealed, CARRIER-06D) DX system for a 20 ton package unit of carrier model no.50DP020, I REMOVED the burn out compressor, flush the condensor coil from liquid line and evaporator coil from suction line with ***** 22 ittself without disconnecting the metering device (Distributor type, 7 capillaries with common header from liquid line to evaporator inlet). I replaced the same type of compressor with new refurbished one, replaced the filter-drier (standard shell type) , pressure test the system, leak test, vaccumize the system, sweep the system with ***** 22 (5psig) and re vaccumize the system, Break the the vaccum and charge the refrigerant-22. And, First run the system for half an hour and did the oil test for acidity in system, found the acid is present in system (very unsatisfactory).
I removed the compressor oil & filter-drier and re flush the system condensor and evaporator coil from liquid-line without disconnecting the compressor suction and discharge service valve.
While flushing the evaporator, I flushed it with R-22 as from the npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase without disconnecting metering device i.e. (capillary type-distributor) and release the pressure from liquid-line (drier removed). Then, I again flush the evaporator from the LIQUID LINE and release the pressure from npt fitting port located above sight glass of compressor crankcase.
I did the above procedure thrice, because when I check the oil for acidity with the help of acid test kit, I found the acidity present in system.( the colour of test kit solution turns yellow twice and third time it shows orange colour of test kit solution, which is unsatisfactory ).
Note: The drier and oil was replaced on every test of acidity in oil.

The fourth time I flush the system ONLY from a liquid-line with R-22 using liquid refrigerant and release the pressure from the charging port given on suction line, before suction service valve of compressor.

I replaced the filter-drier, charged the oil in compressor (4gs) half level of sight glass. Pressure test system, check for leak, and vaccumise the system, after vaccuming, I break the vaccume with refrigerant till (120 psig standing pressure and started the unit.

When the compressor starts, I check the gauge for charging refrigerant in system. And , I found the gauge was showing 120 psig in running condition for 5 to 7 seconds as soon as compressor starts, and suddenly pressure reduces to 0 to 2 psig (the LP switch was by-passed to charge the refrigerant) and discharge pressure is 150 psig . I check the refrigerant cylinder valve, manifold gauge valves are open properly & charging port access valve (swivel core type) is ok. Also check the filter-drier was ok, but replace to clear the doubt for any blockage, but still the problem is at it is.

Now, I would like to know, what could be the reason that the pressure is suddenly dropping to 0 or 2 psig.

1, Is there any blockage in capillary, distributor, or ?
2, Is there any blockage in suction filter of compressor or?
3, Is it something else other problem.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT & EASY PROCEDURE TO TROUBLESHOOT IT?
Pls help. !!!!!

I seriously havn't seen a a solution as yet. he should have used nitrogen, no dought about that. I have never seen a twenty ton system without a txv. but the key word to his fouth try was 120psi standing preasure. and take note a 20 ton system. did he state he charged by weight as per manufacturers info. NO. and if he did not does the system register presures showing a restriction. if you insist there is a restriction, I insist you look at the basics of refrigeration ratio preasure, charging charts to ambiant temperatures, and preasure relation to compressor start up.

subz
19-03-2008, 04:45 AM
I seriously havn't seen a solution from anyone yet. He should have used nitrogen no dought about that. And I have never seen a 20 ton unit without a txv. But the key phrase ot his forth try was that he had a 120psi standing preasure, and take note a 20 ton system. did he say he charged the system by weight to manufacturers info? NO. and if he did not, does the system register preasures showing a restriction, if you insist that the system has a restriction, I insist that you look at the basics of compression ratio,charging chart to ambiant temperature, and preasure relation to compressor start up.

The MG Pony
19-03-2008, 10:22 AM
2 year old thread? Not a bad record.

Dan1947
15-04-2008, 07:03 PM
no nitrogen shocking triple evacuate system purge with nitrogen change drier and expanson valve