PDA

View Full Version : HELP - home window air conditioner loud buzzing noise when compressor starts

JosephJ
30-07-2016, 04:09 PM
For weeks, my 5 year old window air conditioner made a loud buzzing noise when the cooling compressor kicked in - Then would be fine and cooled until it shut off silently - But then when the thermostat said it was ready to cool for the compressor to turn on, again the buzzing sound (like at the end of a period in a hockey game) - but Now, the compressor doesnt work, no cool air, but the fan works fine. I still hear the buzzing sound like it is trying to turn on, but cant. Anybody know how I can fix this ?

chemi-cool
30-07-2016, 06:43 PM
It might be wires disconnected, capacitor burst, internal protection open, contactor failure,loss of refrigerant [if there is a low pressure stat]

A few things to check.

Airsteve
31-07-2016, 01:49 AM
I would be checking the capacitor first. From the description provided it has most likely been slowly fading. Then as per what Chemi has suggested.

Scramjetman
29-09-2016, 02:49 PM
The buzzing sound is often a compressor trying to start but can't get going.

As has been mentioned, this can be a fault with the compressor capacitor or a fault in the compressor itself. Window units don't have a very long lifespan. By the time you pay a serviceman to inspect and diagnose your machine you may be able to buy a new one for a few dollars extra. Something to think about.