PDA

View Full Version : Brazing

eggs
29-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Good afternoon chaps.

I have just found out that a job we are starting doesn't allow acetylene on site. How do I braze the big pipe on my VRV?
What would you use if you had to change a compressor?

Sorry for the schoolboy questions but I've always used oxy/acet on pipes 3/4 and up and only ever used it on comp changes & VRV/VRF connections. :confused:

Cheers

Eggs

Recoilzn
29-07-2016, 04:26 PM
You could always try the zoomlock from sporlan, but theres added chances of leaks.

Brian_UK
29-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Use propane/oxy.

chemi-cool
29-07-2016, 05:00 PM
You will need different tip for propane, brazing temp is a bit lower but there will be no problems.
I only use it for every braze I do up to 3" pipes.

monkey spanners
29-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Oxy Propylene is what i use, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Dkfa0Si70

cadwaladr
29-07-2016, 11:52 PM
Me too,as said the tip needs to be larger and acetylene is one heavy bottle.

charlie patt
30-07-2016, 08:22 PM
We had this recently on one site we used Vulcan lock rings that site we could not use acet or profuel nothing so we braised the big joints outside the property then used Vulcan on smaller stuff and got um to sign a waiver if Vulcans ever leak

eggs
31-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Thanks chaps. I'll look in to propane then.
Why on earth you can use one gas and not the other is beyond me. Am I less lightly to torch the shopping centre with mapp gas or propane than acet ?

The mind boggles

Eggs

hookster
31-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Probably the sensible thing would be to approach the project management team with your facts and figures to see why the blanket ban is in place as usually you can get it lifted with the correct procedures in place.

Show that you insurance covers you to work with oxy / acet (I usually find our subcontractors do not have sufficient cover even for Mapp gas let alone Oxy / Acet)
Have you RAMS prepared in advance with decent control measures, including outside cage storage for gases with extended length pipes for work etc.
Thermal camera post work surveying for hot spots each day post works etc.

Blanket banning on construction sites is just a usual approach to prevent the cow boys shootin and tootin!

eggs
31-07-2016, 03:59 PM
That makes sense Marc. I'm on a mission to get the blanket ban overturned because I'm a special little snowflake. Not like the rest..
I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Cheers

Eggs

eggs
04-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Apparently we need a:
Turbotorch STK-11 Double Barrel Brazing Torch with some mapp gas.

They're the future, just like garlic bread..ill give it a whirl. Anybody tried one?

Cheers

monkey spanners
04-08-2016, 08:13 PM
They are ok, but use a lot of mapp, have done 1 3/8" with it inside with no wind etc.

chemi-cool
05-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Apparently we need a:
Turbotorch STK-11 Double Barrel Brazing Torch with some mapp gas.

They're the future, just like garlic bread..ill give it a whirl. Anybody tried one?

Cheers

looks like a toy, you need oxygen for brazing copper or it will take you a long time.
propane and oxygen torch is what you need.