PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Refrigerant from One Condenser to Another

gchope2k6
29-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Hello all,

I have a more unique situation: an overcharged heat pump and an undercharged AC one next to the other, both piston with piston metering at the coil. The refrigerant is R-22 and I am planning on transferring refrigerant from one unit to the other. This is how I am thinking of doing this, please let me know if you see an issue with the approach:

- connect blue gauge hose to the suction line of the overcharged unit and purge line
- connect red gauge hose to the suction line of the undercharged unit and purge line
- connect yellow gauge hose to the liquid line of the overcharged unit and purge line
- slowly meter liquid refrigerant through the red manifold, wait and check pressure and superheat, repeat until the overcharged unit's superheat is correct (with both units running)
- close yellow ball valve and let all the remaining liquid slowly go into the undercharged unit
- disconnect gauge

The undercharged AC unit is in bad shape (leaking coil) and will need to be replaced soon, but this should give it a little more time...

Thank you.

chemi-cool
29-07-2016, 12:35 PM
It should work the you set it up.

Recoilzn
29-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Are you planning on fixing the leak before you refill R22 into that system? Cant imagine the EPA being to happy with you if you dont.

gchope2k6
29-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Planning to pump it down first and fixing the leak. I just wanted to make sure the procedure I was thinking of doing by moving some refrigerant directly from the overcharged unit to this one is sound and won't cause any issues.