PDA

View Full Version : lessons learned

aaron crimmins
02-12-2001, 08:02 AM
during my first year in the field out of college i had gotten a call at a paper manfg. plant for a mcc room a/c down. i had found the unit off on oil failure.i knew that other techs. had been there the week before fixing leaks so i proceeded to add oil to the unit thru the suction line.after getting it going i did my usual checks(filters,belts.etc.)and found that the 2nd stage solinoid was not energized, control voltage line had been dissconnected.hooked control voltage back up to energize 2nd stage,and after running for a bit all the oil returned that had been sitting in 2nd stage now i had too much oil. it was after 5 and overtime was not approved so trying to take the xtra oil out quick i loosened the oil port and let the pressure leak out the oil in a jug.well that was taking too long so i loosened it a little more,and a little more and POP! the port shot off and two gallons of oil under pressure hit me in the top of the head and i was completey soaked in oil! two hours later after getting the unit going again and cleaning the oil up from everywhere i finaly went home to a well needed shower and beer.:eek: